• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Dressing cables in sockets/ light switches,etc.. possibly with photograph(s) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All.

Hope you all are well and extremely busy !!!! Can members kindly please suggest/advise the best practice on how to dress cables in sockets, light switches, etc.

How much spare cable do you leave in back box, and how do you coil this spare cable ?

Seen great work on Consumer Unit Installations in PE magazine titled "Circuit Protection - Reader Gallery", inspiring and a lesson to all.

Photographs would be beneficial.

Kind Regards.
Jag.

with sockets and switches, the first thing is to get back boxes deep enough . as for CUs, some are good with space to dress cables, some are pants. e.g no space behind din rail, too little space above to allow for RCBOs, etc.

I teach my apprentices to cut cables a fist and thumb length and dress the cables so when the socket is pulled forward they naturally go back the same when pushed back.
with my hands, a fist and a thumb leaves about 8" of cable in the back box. a bridge too far IMO.

That’s why Tels been married so long - he thought it was 8 inches all this time. I bet he’ll have an ‘old peculiar’ tonight!

I've got a sharpie line about half way along the handles of my 200mm
cutters!
Agree with 7029dave on forming to fit socket/accessory terminals before fitting.
Always leave plenty in switches when its 1.0/1.5mm as its more likely to be fiddled with in the future.

The other issue,is you can arrange conductors perfectly for the accessory you are fitting,but this may prevent a replacement from being easily fitted in the future.
With this in mind,i would always recommend dressing them out generously,even if they look slightly excessive,as long as the accessory goes in and out without strain or packing - less whinging on here in a future post,when some poor sucker has to extend 40 conductors by 2",because of a socket outlet fashion change.

for sockets i usually tape both cables together so that conductors match , strip back both cables to the tape, earth sleeve both cpc individually, cut conductors down long enough to go from top right corner of box down to the bottom left corner, this way once all connected it slips into the box like a glove

this will work for any size/depth of box

Reply to Dressing cables in sockets/ light switches,etc.. possibly with photograph(s) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back