Discuss Drill for core and sds in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davey1988

I have just purchased a Bosch GBH 2-28 DV and was going to use this for core or to be fair my main sds, what other sds should i buy and should i keep this bosch for core or regular sds work.

Also

im going to buy a core set, is edge better than norton as its more expensive and lazer strengthened?

just checked the set for norton is 119 for 7pc starter kit and 79.99 for 7 piece kit. And edge is 10pc 169.99. To buy the 107mm core alone is 79.99 as above kits are with 117mm :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh I would only use the sds for coring on the odd occasion you have forgot your core drill. It's not designed for coring really and won't last very long if used every day as a core drill. It will last we'll and is great for drilling small to med holes in walls etc..

drilling_n2.jpg

Now that's a core drill!

...and he's using his screwfix special drill to do it!

I used to make those core cutters and the rigs that drove them. The motors were either compressed air made by a company called Ghast or electric made by Black & Decker - but they were a very heavy duty job - NOT like what you buy from Screwfix!!

The rigs had hollow bases with a rubber seal around the bottom and a fitting to connect a vacuum hose to. You just stuck the whole thing onto the floor or a wall by vacuum and happily drilled you hole - up to 300mm or bigger if you supplemented the vacuum with an ACROW prop between the top of the rig and the ceiling or opposite wall.

So to clarify the drill i have even tho it has a safety clutch or w/e is not really suotable for core drilling? Whats best or recommended drill to use for core drilling?

or could i use the bosch for core and buy seprate battry drill for general sds wk

So to clarify the drill i have even tho it has a safety clutch or w/e is not really suotable for core drilling? Whats best or recommended drill to use for core drilling?

or could i use the bosch for core and buy seprate battry drill for general sds wk

I would not use an SDS for core drilling.

The "recommended" drill is a dedicated core drill something like this: http://www.makitauk.com/products/drills/diamond-core-drills.html

but there are other manufacturers to consider.

I have used my Bosch mains SDS for core drilling for the last few years. It was a ÂŁ130.00 Bosch at the time, can't recall model number. It has faired fine so far, although I only drill around six cores per year. If I did more than one core a month I would defo get a core drill.

I normally get around 4cm in with the core then use an SDS chisel beneath the bricks surface, it's much quicker when coring hard bricks. And I find coring can be very very dull!!

I have the edge 5 cores set and have been happy with them up to now. Mainly use the 125mm (??) core for extractors and it still seems to have plenty of life in it.

I reckon it really depends what you are doing. For a domestic electrician coring the odd fan etc then the SDS will do fine. I use a makita SDS, a plumber I was working with recently used a cheapo B&Q SDS and had no problems with 5" holes through brick. Just as long as it has a clutch....

I'd say start with what you have. If you start having problems or doing a lot of cores you can then upgrade to a proper core drill.

I normally get around 4cm in with the core then use an SDS chisel beneath the bricks surface, it's much quicker when coring hard bricks. And I find coring can be very very dull!!

so once half way through first brick bang the rest out (with chissel sds bit) and then re-insert the core again?

so once half way through first brick bang the rest out (with chissel sds bit) and then re-insert the core again?

Yep Davey, can do it that way. I normally drill straight through the entire wall. Then using pilot drill and the core, core drill into the wall around 4cm on both sides. Then knock the rest out with the SDS chisel. This technique is especially good when dealing with hard engineering bricks, unless you enjoy standing motionless holding a drill for another hour!!

you end up with clean entry and exit holes and the 4cm gives enough depth to get your red plugs into the surrounding brick.

drilling_n2.jpg

Now that's a core drill!

Like it!

Geordie, out of curiousity why would you need to core a 3ft(?!) hole like that....looks genuine and can't think why the brick would not just be knocked out instead....air conditioning ducts....big cat flap.....?

Like it!

Geordie, out of curiousity why would you need to core a 3ft(?!) hole like that....looks genuine and can't think why the brick would not just be knocked out instead....air conditioning ducts....big cat flap.....?

I made one 3ft diameter which was mounted on the back of an army truck with an air compressor to supply the air to run the compressed air motor driving the rig with another truck which was a water bowser supplying water to keep the core cool.

That little toy went to the then London Airport to drill holes in the runway to mount the new fangled landing beacons in.

That was about 1974 and this diamond drilling & cutting lark was quite new. Cutting edge technology you could say. ;)

You "could" just knock it out but believe me these beasts don't hang about and that hole would be made with nice clean edges faster than it would take you to make good your knocked out one.

Reply to Drill for core and sds in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net