• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Drilled through cable in wall, can I fix? (Photo) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sam22

-
Reaction score
Drilled through cable in wall, can I fix? (Photo) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Drilled through cable in kitchen wall, tripped the fuse box. Switched back on and everything works apart from the cooker hood.

I've called electrician and explained, given me a quote of £120 plus VAT. Is that reasonable?

Is this something I can fix? If so, how? I have basic electrical skills (i.e I can install a new light fitting, install a dimmer switch, change a plug, etc...!)

Sounds a bit expensive to me. Not a difficult fix, but need to use the right parts for the job and also test the work afterwards.

Seems like a reasonable price dependent on how they plan to rectify the fault.

Just be aware, now that you have re energised the circuit, that bare copper you could see may well be 'live'. Also, if you've managed to cut through the earth, then there is also the possibility that the cooker hood is no longer earthed.

first, what is going to be fitted where you cut the hole? then, is the any slack on the cables?

Could I turn the power off, strip back the cable at the damaged point and a connector block to link the 2 damaged ends back together...?
Have it repaired professionally. That method is not the way to do it properly and safely. Its not worth the agro, if you get it wrong then it could end up costing you more in the long run.

Could I turn the power off, strip back the cable at the damaged point and a connector block to link the 2 damaged ends back together...?

No, this would not meet the requirements of the electrical regs.

No, that would be somewhat dangerous.
The joint needs to be made in a suitable enclosure or the sheath suitably reinstated. The joint must be made in such a way that it may be classed as maintainence free if it will be inaccessible in the future.
The circuit must be tested to ensure that it is safe to be re-energised.

You should switch the circuit off until it is repaired, the damaged cable presents a risk of fire and of a potentially fatal electric shock.

and there's no VAT on my price. the government don't work for me, so why should i pay their wages?

Thanks for your replies. The large cut out of plasterboard is just what a did so I could see the damage, I'm only putting shelves up so the shelf brackets could easily go slightly to one side, just my luck I've gone directly where a cable is.... Should have known, there's a switch directly beneath.

No, that would be somewhat dangerous.
The joint needs to be made in a suitable enclosure or the sheath suitably reinstated. The joint must be made in such a way that it may be classed as maintainence free if it will be inaccessible in the future.
The circuit must be tested to ensure that it is safe to be re-energised.

You should switch the circuit off until it is repaired, the damaged cable presents a risk of fire and of a potentially fatal electric shock.
Is there any other connection I could make that would be suitable? What about wago connectors? Or junction box in plastic casing?

yeah, but in oxfordshire you have lobster and wine. up here we survive on a wrights pie and a pint of ale.

Because the pads down here are so expensive, we have to survive on dripping and dirty water. I draw a line at Paul Masson plonk though :)

Last edited:
Is there any other connection I could make that would be suitable? What about wago connectors? Or junction box in plastic casing?
If you plan on leaving the joint easily accessible then its an option, assuming there's enough slack and can be terminated correctly. But If you intend to plaster back over the joint then no they would not.

Reply to Drilled through cable in wall, can I fix? (Photo) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back