Discuss drilling 4" holes for fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

livelounge

recently i have been been coring holes for bathroom fans through outside walls and been taking ages to do it upto an hour when it should only take 25mins at most do you recon i should start drilling it on hammer with the diamond core bit allthough it can screw the bit up i am using a makita 8406

how long it takes depends on what material the wall is made from, and whether thematerial is solid or not. ive done the same as you (4") and taken 30 mins on one kitchen to 1hr + on another. we kept swapping blokes cos our arms started o kill!:D

I find on really hard bricks you are better marking out the hole and then drilling a line of small holes as close together as possible with an SDS bit. The bricks are hard but brittle and the middle will easily break out with a hammer and chisel. Diamond core bits are great on softer bricks and blocks but take ages on the harder stuff.

dont use on hammer we gave the same makita drill to our plaster as he goes round core drilling for us and he nackedr core after core up and also nackerd the gear box up on it

its just your standard outside wall brick cavity brick roughcasting i just dont see why its taking so long maybe last on job gets the worst corer been used to cut through wall ties or something because the other sparks are gong through the walls on 25mins at most and it really making me look bad

You will find that there are different core bits available for different hardnesses of walls.

there is no such thing as a universal core bit. :)

had to core a wall earlier on in the year which kept clogging the diamond core (bricks seemed damp) and it took over 2 hours to drill. the next hole on a different wall took about 10 min.

agreed that you need to use a core specifically designed for the material you are drilling. the cores you normally buy ('ganeral' ones) are for blockwork and general house brick (not engineering bricks).

definately done use on hammer. I have a tct core as well which can be used on hammer for the harder walls.

its just your standard outside wall brick cavity brick roughcasting i just dont see why its taking so long maybe last on job gets the worst corer been used to cut through wall ties or something because the other sparks are gong through the walls on 25mins at most and it really making me look bad

You need some weight behind it. Are the other guys heavier than you, maybe they can put a bit more force on the drill!

i let the drill drill but used it on hammer toady and flew through wall in 5-10mis thinkthe core bit is done any way was informed they kept hitting wall ties on earlier houses

I drilled a hole through a wall in a house in 5 mins then did it on another wall in the house and it took 2.5 hours dam red engineering bricks had a sore arm for days after:D

it took me about 7 hours to core a 2 inch hole before....

about 2 and half foot thick dark brown engineering block wall going into mains room.

at a temple, two buildings faced with a decorative wall made of engineering bricks, so 4" inner skin, cavity, 4" common, 1" rough cast, cavity, 4" outer skin built with engineers

4x 6" cores, took two of us on rotation a whole day.

Never again!!

I spent about 30 mins each doing two 2" cores today, and that was with a new core and only single skin engineering block. I started to think about drilling it instead! It just takes patience sometimes.

Reply to drilling 4" holes for fans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock