Discuss Drilling tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Installing a 4" extract fan in bathroom. Completely tiled.....9x15" tiles.
Is it advisable to drill a 4" hole in one of the tiles to outside. Going to be using a core drill. Thought about ceiling mounted but loft is fully boarded and FULL of stuff.
Thanks.

If you avoid the joints and take your time with a diamond tip core drill you should be ok. Start slow , or even in reverse till you are through the ceramic , then away as normal. Watch the splinters and sharp edges.

Remember doing this a few years back, and the tiler must have been on an economy drive with his adhesive , my mate was drilling away while I was in the loft running the cable when I heard this "oh F***" and came down to see about a metre and a half square of very expensive tiles laying shattered on the bathroom floor .................ouch

Just done one last week with diamond core drill.
Cut through tiles nice and clean, just drill a pilot hole with tile bit first for your auger bit.
As others have said just take it steady until thru the tiles, wear glasses and make sure your using a drill with a clutch because otherwise it WILL grab and throw you off ladders.!!

Years ago, doing re-furbs on LA flats in Pimlico, was the first time I used a dimond core drill.
Drilled through the wall from outside, about 18" deep, through the plaster and the tiles, perfect.

Years ago, doing re-furbs on LA flats in Pimlico, was the first time I used a dimond core drill.
Drilled through the wall from outside, about 18" deep, through the plaster and the tiles, perfect.

That's the way to do it, BUT I think I'd make sure I had a mate on the inside pushing a flat wooden board against the tile that the core drill was coming through, just to make sure that the drill didn't push the tile off the wall.

That's how I once did it anyway & that was through about 2 feet of sandstone wall, plaster & VERY expensive tile.

Had to two of these last week ,I do a lot of bathrooms for the council. both were fully tiled, I do use a diamond core cutter but I never use on the tiles (thats just me BTW). I prefere to mark it out and go round it with a 5.5 bit every inch to give it a weak circle, then with a comb chisel chop out the centre of tiles, once out i bang the core through. As long as you give the tiles a weak line to break on it will not go past your line of holes. Never had a problem this way and it stops burning out expensive diamond cores and is much quicker I find and as said if it locks half way through a tile it will shatter the tile. Thats just me as i'm used to the tools i use and have done much damage in the past and learnt by it lol. sometimes you have to be brave and go for it.
Big must it goggles though, you might feel a girl wearing them if your not used to it but the smallest sliver at speed will take your eye out. good luck.

Reply to Drilling tiles in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net