Discuss Driveway (walk over) Lighting - HOW TO? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doesn't like working with SWA as it's 'too stiff'
Wants to fit the cheapest materials possible
Shopping in Toolstation/Screwfix for bits that most would never source from there
Wants forum to spell out regulations for him re cable choice

Clearly a DIYer, clearly clueless. OP you've received some great advice here, but appear determined to ignore it.

I'd be interested to know 1. Is this for your house 2. What qualifications do you have and 3. Do you intend to notify this work?

Doesn't like working with SWA as it's 'too stiff'
Wants to fit the cheapest materials possible
Shopping in Toolstation/Screwfix for bits that most would never source from there
Wants forum to spell out regulations for him re cable choice

Clearly a DIYer, clearly clueless. OP you've received some great advice here, but appear determined to ignore it.

I'd be interested to know 1. Is this for your house 2. What qualifications do you have and 3. Do you intend to notify this work?

Ahhh MattG Your post has come alot later on in this forum post than I first expected it would, but not to worry I have been waiting for it so I'm more than happy to provide you a detailed response than dismiss your value adding post!?!

1. The property is one of my properties which I will sell. I think it would be a nice touch to have up-lighters in the drive but also its an idea i'd like to have a go at and learn from for the future. I'm sure mistakes will be made and that my friend is sometimes how we learn in life.
Now with this being a "nice idea" and a "Would like" to the project it is not a necessity. I therefore want to do it for the lowest cost possible so I am going through the motions to understand the cheapest way to set it up without huge costs AND for it to be correct, safe and in line with the regs, etc... Once I have the multiple methods of set up then I can make an informed choice of whether I do it or not do it. Does that make sense to you Matt?

2. I want to state that I have wired all of my properties internally in past and present and they have all been to a high standard and to regulation as I check at each stage I am doing things correctly. In addition yes I do notify all my works and have certificates for all work carried out. What you must understand here is that outside electrics is not something I have done before and we all have to start someone Matt and this is why I am asking for multiple methods to get this installed that is easy, cheap and to regulation. So yes perhaps I can be named as "clueless" with regards to outside lighting but that why I am here asking. Isn't this the whole point of the website Matt? .....So what brings you here?

3. Qualifications??? Matt, I see no relevance to the questions I ask about driveway light setup. I'm an individual that is hands on and wants to learn the correct way of doing everything I do whether thats using a computer, driving a car or wiring some lights up.

4. Matt there has been some helpful advice so far but unfortunately it is incomplete and that's why some questions are repeated and asking for further suggestions. It's not the case of ignoring anyone comments. I have gathered the useful information posted but unfortunately there is still big holes in the information as many questions are unanswered so I cannot move forward with incomplete answers sadly.

5. Finally SWA... Perhaps my statement of SWA being difficult to work with is perhaps wrong. My only experience with it was removing it from a property however it was a much thicker cable than what will be required for this job. Perhaps if i buy the 1.5mm 3 core SWA cable it may not be as bad to work with as I think it is. I'm just seeing if there is an alternative I could use to make my life easier but would still satisfy regs. so far no one is really saying clearly other than down the low voltage route which seems to bump prices up alot as the light fittings are much more expensive.

6. What is wrong with Screwfix and Toolstation? They are 2 suppliers local and available everywhere. They provide fairly good pricing on most things and you know where you stand with them. They do not pull prices out of the air like most trade building suppliers. So why wouldn't I use them Matt? If they sell the junction box I need or the Wago connectors or the Prysmian twin and earth i want and have it in stock then I will buy it. If they don't stock it i go elsewhere. simple! Perhaps your clueless as to what Screwfix and Toolstation sell?

Moving on from Mattg and his post.....

Ive taken the info so far and also had a conversation with a supplier this morning. Interestingly they advised that GU10 230v are best as you will have less problems when the fitting/bulb goes where as low voltage with LED integrated could be a problem when the LED's go and you need to replace them. Obviously there is pro's and con's to everything.

This is what I have come up with as I do not have sufficient information from here as yet:

1. At each point where each light will sit I will install 110mm Soil pipe vertically in the ground which would be no less than about 300mm long where the cables would run into and would be filled up with gravel that acts as a soakaway.

2. I can run a 1.5mm SWA cable from the house to the end of the drive to light 1 and an SWA between light 1 and 2 and 1 and 3. It appears this probably doesn't needs to be at a certain depth as no one has come up with one so I can put it in with the bases before tarmac. Also I don't think it needs to be in any kopex either as its armoured. Under light 1 I could have a 4 way connector which goes in a jelly type junction box. Power in and power out to each light.

3. Then the 0.5 metre flex that comes out of each fitting can then be connected to the armoured cable using a raytech ip68 jelly filled box.

Additional measures can be that i put extra silicone on the light fittings to make sure they are going to be protected from water.

I could also move the junction box from under light 1 to perhaps a junction box on the side fence or perhaps in a soil flower bed near by if I change the drive plan OR look for some kind of hatch that can be fitted in the tarmac so i can open it up and access it.

Let me know your thoughts guys? Perhaps Correct me where I am wrong. Perhaps even suggest a better and more simple way. Feel free to draw it out for me and even suggest a light fitting at the cheaper end that allows loop in and out? I'm open to all ideas. Links and product names are super helpful for lights fittings, junction boxes etc... and as always your help is much appreciated so thanks!!!

Ahhh MattG Your post has come alot later on in this forum post than I first expected it would, but not to worry I have been waiting for it so I'm more than happy to provide you a detailed response than dismiss your value adding post!?!

1. The property is one of my properties which I will sell. I think it would be a nice touch to have up-lighters in the drive but also its an idea i'd like to have a go at and learn from for the future. I'm sure mistakes will be made and that my friend is sometimes how we learn in life.
Now with this being a "nice idea" and a "Would like" to the project it is not a necessity. I therefore want to do it for the lowest cost possible so I am going through the motions to understand the cheapest way to set it up without huge costs AND for it to be correct, safe and in line with the regs, etc... Once I have the multiple methods of set up then I can make an informed choice of whether I do it or not do it. Does that make sense to you Matt?

2. I want to state that I have wired all of my properties internally in past and present and they have all been to a high standard and to regulation as I check at each stage I am doing things correctly. In addition yes I do notify all my works and have certificates for all work carried out. What you must understand here is that outside electrics is not something I have done before and we all have to start someone Matt and this is why I am asking for multiple methods to get this installed that is easy, cheap and to regulation. So yes perhaps I can be named as "clueless" with regards to outside lighting but that why I am here asking. Isn't this the whole point of the website Matt? .....So what brings you here?

3. Qualifications??? Matt, I see no relevance to the questions I ask about driveway light setup. I'm an individual that is hands on and wants to learn the correct way of doing everything I do whether thats using a computer, driving a car or wiring some lights up.

4. Matt there has been some helpful advice so far but unfortunately it is incomplete and that's why some questions are repeated and asking for further suggestions. It's not the case of ignoring anyone comments. I have gathered the useful information posted but unfortunately there is still big holes in the information as many questions are unanswered so I cannot move forward with incomplete answers sadly.

5. Finally SWA... Perhaps my statement of SWA being difficult to work with is perhaps wrong. My only experience with it was removing it from a property however it was a much thicker cable than what will be required for this job. Perhaps if i buy the 1.5mm 3 core SWA cable it may not be as bad to work with as I think it is. I'm just seeing if there is an alternative I could use to make my life easier but would still satisfy regs. so far no one is really saying clearly other than down the low voltage route which seems to bump prices up alot as the light fittings are much more expensive.

6. What is wrong with Screwfix and Toolstation? They are 2 suppliers local and available everywhere. They provide fairly good pricing on most things and you know where you stand with them. They do not pull prices out of the air like most trade building suppliers. So why wouldn't I use them Matt? If they sell the junction box I need or the Wago connectors or the Prysmian twin and earth i want and have it in stock then I will buy it. If they don't stock it i go elsewhere. simple! Perhaps your clueless as to what Screwfix and Toolstation sell?
^^^^^ the reason why the forum has a dumb rating?

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses above guys. Generally I have gotten the following information which you all seem to generally agree on:

1. Use low voltage to eradicate problems as mains voltage lighting is more likely to trip out and get water problems.

2. Soak Away installed underneath using 110mm soil pipe to help reduce water into the lights.

3. Using Ho7 Cable and NOT armoured.

4. Rip the cable out of the existing fitting and replace it. Well I can i do that but it will be one cable only running back to a junction box as there is no room for looping the lights. Plus this fitting is Gu10 mains so if i refer to point 1 you are mostly advising me not to use this type of fitting

QUESTIONS

a. Has anyone got and suggestions on what Walk over lights to use that are similar size to GU10? Perhaps a make/model / link?

b) using ho7 cable under my drive - What depth minimum should it be run or will this become irrelevant with low voltage? Does it need to be in ducting?

Please remember the driveway guys are going to be looking at me and i have to have a full plan of implementation so it can be installed correctly.
230 Volts AC is Low voltage

Best of luck with this OP.

The forum doesn't allow step by step guides to doing work that are outside of a persons competency.

This is probably why you are not receiving information that we would expect to be obvious to a competent and qualified person.

Reply to Driveway (walk over) Lighting - HOW TO? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net