Discuss dryer wont work in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

clayclay

Hello. I got a new clothers dryer and before I attached the wire to the dryer I stupidly attached the wire to the wall!:banghead: then touched the other end of the wire to my fingers, and pow! I didn't feel any pain luckily. The end of the wire that attaches to the dryer was burnt and I had to replace the wire. I checked the circuit breakers and they all have power. Two other outlets are not working and don't have any power when I tested them with a multimeter, the dryer outlet shows 240ac volts but when I plugged in the dryer it wont work. Any suggestions before I call an electrician. Thanks!

As you are in US arrangements may be slightly different than here in the UK.

That said, do NOT work while the circuit is live, ever!!

Initially check that there are no other breakers, possibly outside the box, such as GFCI that may have tripped and caused these problems, other than that the likely cause is a loose connection somewhere, but based on your track record, I would call an electrician.

Thanks. the two outlets are indeed GFCI and I mashed the test and reset buttons repeatedly to no avail, still no power, actually I get about 12 volts. I will look for other breakers.....and call an electrician, ha! any other advice is welcome, I like to know whats going on before I give away my money.

I think you are best to call the electrician and get an explanation from him when he finds out what the fault is as any diagnosis from half way around the world is likely to be wrong ;)

I agree with brman get someone to tell you what went wrong, it sounds like you shorted two wires when you were touching them and this high current flow (as evidenced by the burning) could have caused damage at some random point in the circuit, which would need proper testing to find.

I think you should also seek psychiatric help, what in the world made you think that touching a live cable was a good idea?

Ok, truth be told, I didn't buy the dryer or the washer, I don't believe in them, they were gifted to me from someone else. I was going to wash by hand and hang my clothes on a line, but oh no that's just too crazy I guess. Anyway, truth be told I had a few beers before the dryer showed up, 3 Blue Moon's to be exact. I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly, perhaps taking the path of least resistance when I plugged the cable in to the wall first. Then I motioned towards the dryer with the other end of the cable, my fingers just brushed the ends of the cable and that's when it went POW! I jumped up and did a little dance, to my amazement I still had fingers, just some black smudge across the tips. It left a black smudge on the wall where the cable swung down and bumped the wall. My girlfriend and her mother had been sitting on the floor near by and as I explained what I had done, their concern quickly gave way to anger and then bewilderment. I personally was pleased about how the situation turned out, having not been electrocuted was a great feeling. I had more beer to ease the guilt and shield myself from the repeated questioning of "Why?!" I don't know why! it just happened that way, and it wont ever happen again, I promise.

Ok, truth be told, I didn't buy the dryer or the washer, I don't believe in them, they were gifted to me from someone else. I was going to wash by hand and hang my clothes on a line, but oh no that's just too crazy I guess. Anyway, truth be told I had a few beers before the dryer showed up, 3 Blue Moon's to be exact. I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly, perhaps taking the path of least resistance when I plugged the cable in to the wall first. Then I motioned towards the dryer with the other end of the cable, my fingers just brushed the ends of the cable and that's when it went POW! I jumped up and did a little dance, to my amazement I still had fingers, just some black smudge across the tips. It left a black smudge on the wall where the cable swung down and bumped the wall. My girlfriend and her mother had been sitting on the floor near by and as I explained what I had done, their concern quickly gave way to anger and then bewilderment. I personally was pleased about how the situation turned out, having not been electrocuted was a great feeling. I had more beer to ease the guilt and shield myself from the repeated questioning of "Why?!" I don't know why! it just happened that way, and it wont ever happen again, I promise.

Oh my bloody good God!!

PLEASE do not be an idiot all of your life - try taking a break for about ten minutes, and if you EVER do anything like this again, PLEASE keep it to yourself and DON'T plaster it all over an internet forum to show the entire world how stupid you are !!

Now, off you go before your village realises its idiot is missing.

this has to be a wind up. the OP's spelling, grammar, and general delivery of his posts is far too intelligent for a septic.

Hello. I got a new clothers dryer and before I attached the wire to the dryer I stupidly attached the wire to the wall!:banghead: then touched the other end of the wire to my fingers, and pow! I didn't feel any pain luckily. The end of the wire that attaches to the dryer was burnt and I had to replace the wire. I checked the circuit breakers and they all have power. Two other outlets are not working and don't have any power when I tested them with a multimeter, the dryer outlet shows 240ac volts but when I plugged in the dryer it wont work. Any suggestions before I call an electrician. Thanks!

Thought that the people from the US was stupid this now totally confirms it

Reply to dryer wont work in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net