Discuss Dual colour warning labels in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

So do you stick them on CU? Are they necessary? Are they a waste of time and materials.

Cards on the table - I think we should boycott them completely!

I agree there is no need for them, however I usually fit them to maintain compliance. Never know which job may end up getting shown on your annual assessment.

Anyone who is altering a system that has mixed colours should have the knowledge and training to do so with competence. Knowledge of previous colour systems is part of being competent.

Not needed as if you dont know the colours you should not be in there but even as 7671 is not the law its still wise to comply.

unable to vote would have voted option 3 no need for labels

So do you stick them on CU? Are they necessary? Are they a waste of time and materials.

Cards on the table - I think we should boycott them completely!
IF we stopped using lables, as much as they ARE annoying, would we not be contravening BS7671, our bible?

IF we stopped using lables, as much as they ARE annoying, would we not be contravening BS7671, our bible?
This is true but what purpose do most of them serve, I can see the need for voltage warning labels sometimes. My CU has an rcd notice but I can't remember the last time I pressed the button.

Hum.... so not fitting a label is really dangerous? I don't think so

The 18 ed should be amended to state the such a label is up to the discretion of the competent person....

i have a more useful label. ACHTUNG. GERFINGER POKIN VERBOTEN. NICHT PRODDEN MACHINEN

This is true but what purpose do most of them serve, I can see the need for voltage warning labels sometimes. My CU has an rcd notice but I can't remember the last time I pressed the button.

I can see the point of bonding labels, to try (in vain) in remind plumbers to leave them alone.
I can see the point of RCD test and frequency of inspection notices as they are aimed at the end user who may have limited technical knowledge.
I can see the point in dual supply/multiple isolation points labels for safety reasons.
Voltage labels are not required though in most LV situations.

I can see the point of bonding labels, to try (in vain) in remind plumbers to leave them alone.
I can see the point of RCD test and frequency of inspection notices as they are aimed at the end user who may have limited technical knowledge.
I can see the point in dual supply/multiple isolation points labels for safety reasons.
Voltage labels are not required though in most LV situations.
Does anyone pay attention to rcd notices, yes the dual supply notice I agree. Voltage warning labels yes, but I agree only in limited instances on LV systems.

I don't get any of them. People who have no knowledge of electricity or related systems don't take a blind bit of notice of them, and people who work on the systems should know what they are doing without having labels to remind them. Waste of time and effort. Good way of demonstrating to an assessor that you have read the reg's though, even if the rest of the install is sh1te. Last time I got assessed he just tapped each of the labels on the CU, nodded and that was that, after a quick Zs test.

Well as anything goes for DIYers then we have to assume they may work on their own home system.
And they could be coloured blind so not notice the old pre harmonised colur difference. So I'd say yes. May as well stick it on just in case tgat highly unlikely occurrence should happen .

Well as anything goes for DIYers then we have to assume they may work on their own home system.
And they could be coloured blind so not notice the old pre harmonised colur difference. So I'd say yes. May as well stick it on just in case tgat highly unlikely occurrence should happen .
But what if they are blind? Should we be fitting braille notices as well?

For the minimal cost and time involved we might as well cover ourselves, yes we know these labels are of little relevance as customers generally take no notice, BUT the need for them is a requirement of BS7671, so in the event of something going wrong if the blame could be directed towards lack of information he implications could

Fitted a ten way board a while back, only had three circuits but had to fit a big board cos labels wouldn't all fit on a small one:)
Couldn't you have put them on opposite sides of the door? I had a customer moan like crazy the other week about "all those unsightly stickers" so I put them on the inside of the door", is this allowed?

Yes because to do anything at all to the board or installation - including pressing an RCD test button you have to open the cover...

For the minimal cost and time involved we might as well cover ourselves, yes we know these labels are of little relevance as customers generally take no notice, BUT the need for them is a requirement of BS7671, so in the event of something going wrong if the blame could be directed towards lack of information he implications could

I think if a person with no knowledge of wiring colour schemes created a dangerous situation worthy of apportioning blame, the onus would be on the lack of compliance with BS7671 regarding the bodge and bodger, rather than the lack of a sticker.

Reply to Dual colour warning labels in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock