Discuss Dual CS 430 Turn Table issue in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

We have a massive selection of LP's - not all on CD or downloads! Some of which I'd like to listen to

We also have an early 1990's Dual CS 430 turntable - but the central spindle will not rotate free - there is no obvious way to clean or lubricate it and despite doing a number of internet searches AND emailing Dual I'm not in possession of any information that would assist me.

Just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers before I take it to the tip and think about buying a new one!

Thanks

Without seeing it I can only suggest a good soaking in electrical cleaning spray for an extended time to soften it up then a quality lubricant ( like the old plus gas if there is a substitute .) . WD 40 or the like.

Without seeing it I can only suggest a good soaking in electrical cleaning spray for an extended time to soften it up then a quality lubricant ( like the old plus gas if there is a substitute .) . WD 40 or the like.

I had been wondering about using WD40!

Is there a slip mat? If it's belt drive, there must be a way to remove the platter to change the belt. All the turntables I've seen that are belt drive, the slip matt lifts off and reveals openings through which the belt can be accessed (to remove it from the drive spindle) and the platter normally just lifts off.

A photo may be helpful (including one with the matt removed - if there is in fact a matt on it at all).

Yes I know , if it worked you could always clean it again with a non residue spray , depends where the first gunge landed though.
Difficult if you can not get it apart.

The drive belt can be changed without removing the turntable ... and I have tried a new one

I'm presuming this is just as it has been stored for some time . Try a bit of heat from a hair drier after the spray has dried . Depending on the type you have used - take care.

OK - I've put some DW 40 on it and its not really helped

Photo 1 - shows the deck with the turntable for the records off - so you can see the drive belt etc

Dual CS 430 Turn Table issue CS 430 -1 - EletriciansForums.net

Photo 2 shows it from the "side"

Dual CS 430 Turn Table issue CS 430 - 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Its the black disc in the fore ground I'm unsure how to remove .....

Thanks

Can you turn it by hand with the belt off?
Is the belt spindle running free?
He'll be knackered by the end of the LP,

try some contact cleaner WD40 can clean the gunk out and dry it up as its not a lubricant.

If you can not see how it comes off I can only repeat plus gas or wd40 or both.
There may be a covered circlip holding it down.

My guess is that if you open the unit (from the bottom surface), you'll find a the means of releasing the spindle in there. It's probably a simple spindle running in a phosphor bronze oilite bush (however you spell) that's got grimey and clogged with dust.

There may be a thrust bearing in the way that sets the height of the platter, but the spindle itself is probably held in place with a circlip or other form of spring clip. Once you get it out, a small amount of sewing machine oil will probably suffice although I may be inclined to degrease it and use some PTFE based dry lubricant instead as that should help stop dust/dirt accumulating around the bearing (which ultimately gets draw into the bearing and/or soaks up any oil making it sticky).

Reply to Dual CS 430 Turn Table issue in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock