Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Dusk to dawn switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by stef, May 3, 2013.

Discuss Dusk to dawn switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. stef

stef Electrician's Arms

Hi chaps,

Well, I have one of them

image.jpg
    Fitted it 10 years ago, still working! Till recently. Going green I decided to replace the outside lights
    with LED types and splashed out 40 quid. Now, after dusk, the lights come on for 5 seconds and then go off for a couple of minutes and so on. Pretty annoying.
    first I suspected the sensor, so I removed it, took it inside and connected it to a lamp (filament) and it is working OK.
    I assumed there is a relay inside but now it appears to me that the load of the LEDs is not high enough
    to operate the sensor correctly. Do you know any alternatives which are suitable for low loads?:frown2:

Thanks.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

your average royce thompson plug in photocell is not load dependant and should work whether its a 1w led or a 5000w halogen.
    i've wired them to activate contactors in the past , which pulls a current of around 0.
    just try another sensor , they all fail eventually , and youve had you monies worth after 10 yrs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Agree with Biff it should not be load dependent.
    Have you now got the LED lights shining onto the sensor so the photocell then switches off once the light come on?
    Did you have permanent line in the output and power to lights on the input?

5. Jimsparky

Jimsparky Guest

As above ive had this on a breakdown before and the feed and load was the wrong way round on the cell.

6. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Electrician's Arms

The only thing I can think of with this thread is...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Brightspark2

Brightspark2 Electrician's Arms

Ive had this problem before, I used a titan photocell instead. Tell the wholesalers you want a photocell for switching an LED load of X watt. Let them ring the manufacturers for you. Thats what I did....

Dont mind of I do...

8. Outspoken

Outspoken Regular EF Member

I have a Royce Thompson in my back yard (bloody hurt getting there I can tell you) that operates a contactor for LED lights for "mood lighting" (It was the Missus idea honestly) and then another running a couple of 70w Metal Halide units for proper lighting when working on my Land Rovers. never had a problem with the unit on the LEDs and that unit must be more than 20 years old now as it was used in a previous life doing other lights...

9. stef

stef Electrician's Arms

Nahh, connected correctly, was working ok before I used the LEDs. Yesterday afternoon I put the old filament lamp back and it was working fine. Must be a faulty sensor. Thanks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.