Discuss Dustbuster -- Can I Use Universal Transformer at Nearest Voltage? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The power supply transformer for my 2.5 year old Dustbuster has apparently failed. It's rated at 11V, 200mA from a 230V source. I say apparently because the vacuum unit still has a little in its battery but the charging light on its body fails to illuminate. I just ordered this universal power supply as I couldn't find a specific 11V transformer. The input adjustment seems automatic but there's a rotating dial for the output voltage.

Universal UK Plug AC/DC 110-240V Adapter .Input:100-240V 0.25A 50/60Hz, DC Output:3V/4.5V/5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V.USB port:5V 2.1A.

Can I run it on 9V or 12V to recharge my Dustbuster?

Thank you.

Usually ,poorly batteries put a short on the charger .
..Batteries get old /die , then take charger with them .
If most chargers have a warning to "only use them" , because they are more than a simple " Unrestricted powersupply "
(May be able to find a suiable electronics nerd -to give batteries a kick ,measure + a suitable current restricted supply ) --but probably not worth it--
Can you tell if it is Nicad / NiMH / or Lithium ....?
A clue to its age ...
(someone else MAY be more informed about Dustbuster ..and have more specific help / hope )
(Keep original charger - it may have clues if still limping )

Last edited:
Hi,i'm guessing this is an older 9.6V model?

You can get the correct charger for £13 on the net...you are as well keeping it as original as possible,for when it is taken for valuing,on the antiques road show...in a year or two ;)

Hi,i'm guessing this is an older 9.6V model?

You can get the correct charger for £13 on the net...you are as well keeping it as original as possible,for when it is taken for valuing,on the antiques road show...in a year or two ;)
is that before you put me and pete on the show?

Still not sure if it's the power supply or the battery unit which has failed. If I put the new power supply on 12V (instead of rated 11V) might this kick the battery into action?

Product Specs

PRODUCT TYPE Handheld Vacuum Black & Decker DV7210N
POWER SOURCE Cordless
RUNTIME 10 min
SUCTION POWER 14 Air Watts
BATTERY TYPE NiMH
TOTAL BATTERY ENERGY (WATT HOURS) 10.8 Wh
POWER RATING 7.2V
BATTERY CAPACITY 1.5 Ah
AIR FLOW 1000 l/min
SUCTION PRESSURE 290 mm/Water
WET/DRY CAPACITY No
DUSTBOWL CAPACITY 610 ml
CHARGE DURATION 16 Hours
EXHAUST FILTER No
CHARGER TYPE Charging Base
STATE OF CHARGE INDICATOR No

We must thank Peg today for bringing along an antique pair of electricians. These date to around the 40s and unfortunately are showing a little damage round the edges. There are a lot of fakes out there today so if your looking for one beware. Our expert has examined these two and as they both knew that the phrase "to bell out" had nothing to do with unfastening any item of clothing, we can confirm they are the genuine item.

I suppose you'll be wondering about value. Well the markets have not been too good lately, but for their experience, wit and sentimental value they are priceless.

(For a kick --ONLY 8-9V would start process off)
It would kick them then ,12V would dry them out and overheat .
Go for proper rated charger ... 150mA current limited

The power supply transformer for my 2.5 year old Dustbuster has apparently failed. It's rated at 11V, 200mA from a 230V source. I say apparently because the vacuum unit still has a little in its battery but the charging light on its body fails to illuminate. I just ordered this universal power supply as I couldn't find a specific 11V transformer. The input adjustment seems automatic but there's a rotating dial for the output voltage.

Universal UK Plug AC/DC 110-240V Adapter .Input:100-240V 0.25A 50/60Hz, DC Output:3V/4.5V/5V/6V/7.5V/9V/12V.USB port:5V 2.1A.

Can I run it on 9V or 12V to recharge my Dustbuster?

Thank you.
I have measured the output of many 12V transformers, and you would be surprised at the real world variance...from just under 11V to just over 13V.

Personally, I would try to measure the output of both your old and new transformer and use that info to pick the best setting...If you can't do that, start at 9v and if that does not work, try it at 12V and see how things go...

Thanks Pete E (and all others) ... that's what I was thinking. Any risk of fire at 12V? Doesn't the battery take the current it needs and no more?

Rating is : 30W 100-240V TO 3V,4.5V,5V,6V,7.5V,9V,12V 2A & 2000mA

Doesn't the battery take the current it needs and no more?
The battery may not have an inbuilt controller, this could be done through the charger.

If your just chucking on a 12v supply this could potentially overload the battery and start a fire.

I would always use a manufacturers charger for their batteries.

I tried the universal adapter at both 9V & 12V but the charging light on the vac body din't illuminate. Therefore likely the battery pack failed. Cost to replace £52. Cost of Dustbuster in 2015: £38. Go figure.

Original spare parts are so expensive, plus the hassle and risk of changing them, that it's viable to junk the whole thing and buy a new one. Not greatly impressed by Black & Decker ... better-rated ones available from Amazon. Very useful tool though.

Reply to Dustbuster -- Can I Use Universal Transformer at Nearest Voltage? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net