Discuss E-on meter fixer job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stella

Hello, was wondering if anyone has got a job as a meter fixer with E-on or any other large outfit and what did the practical and written tests involve ?

Hi Stella, my brother fits gas and elec meters for a large company (he's a gas engineer). As far I understand it, the practical is just about getting the meter on the wall securely and good terminations with no copper showing etc. The theory has a big emphasis on EFLI and safety procedures, if your experienced it shouldn't trouble you too much

I seen the guy that done mine few years ago , put plug in socket tester in hall then changed the meter then took socket tester out, said proved polarity... But I'm finding it hard to understand this unless was zs socket tester

I seen the guy that done mine few years ago , put plug in socket tester in hall then changed the meter then took socket tester out, said proved polarity... But I'm finding it hard to understand this unless was zs socket tester

I work for a large energy company well did work for lol. But anyway socket tester is only to check the installation is the same as when he started work.

Also if I'm honest its a bloody boring job hence the no longer working for them lol

From what I hear, the biggest headache is the travelling. In the morning you'll be at one address, lunch time your 30 miles away then at 3pm your given a job next door to the one you did in the morning. That's why you don't fit 10 meters a day!

Thats if they have the work for you. Some days I was fitting 3-4 meters and was finished by 12. Was so many things that would stop you from fitting them.

Well I wouldn't mind doing the travelling between jobs if they are providing a van and fuel. As I understand it they want the meter fixer to be phoning up the people to arrange a time to fit the meter. Will have to brush up on phone etiquette if I get the gig!

Hello, was wondering if anyone has got a job as a meter fixer with E-on or any other large outfit and what did the practical and written tests involve ?

What do you think?? These metermen get if they are lucky, around 3 days training. From what i've heard, no need for any electrical qualifications either!!

A far cry from how it used to be, when it was the older electricity boards electricians finishing up before retirement or electricians on light duty, due to illness or accident etc....

Reply to E-on meter fixer job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net