Discuss EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Has anyone on here done the EAL Inspection and Testing course? It is set in two parts also like the C&G 2394 and 2395. It is also open book unlike the C&G. I'm thinking of taking the course next year and just wondered what other peoples thoughts are and that the candidate pass rate must be a lot higher than the 40% for 2391.

Just to add I've seen a few posts on here from the Electrical Trainee's who have gained the 2391 qualification with no experience at all! I know a few time served Electricians who have failed the 2391 at least three times!

Surely the scam training centres must be churning the 2391 passes out so that more Electrical Trainee's enrol and spend their Five grand!

I might have been swayed into accepting it but now you've warned me.................. Not a chance.....

Open book.......... That just proves you've got a basic level of reading skill!

... and don't tell me the people offering the course are forum sponsors with a number in their name and think they ARE the industry!!!!?

EAL 4-day course on Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations

EAL Level 3 Awards in the:

Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations (QCF code 600/4337/4)
Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (QCF 600/4338/6)

These EAL qualifications are direct equivalents of the City and Guilds 2394 and 2395 qualifications, but do not require a written exam to be undertaken. The theory assessment is online and open-book; the practical assessments are the same as 2394 and 2395.

Overview

These qualifications provide an understanding of the theory and practice involved in the initial verification and commissioning, and periodic inspection, testing and condition reporting of single and three phase electrical installations.

Looks like more dumbing down of industry standards IMO.

So I take it you guys who passed 2391 threw your GN3 book away when you passed as it was all committed to memory. No of course you did'nt no one would. Does open book theory exam make it easier, I would guess yes especially for those with poor memories but does it mean they will be bad testers or have no understanding of what they are doing , I think not if that were the case they would not pass the practical exam which is the same as C & G.
I think the memory aspect of C & G exams plays a bigger roll than it should in being able to pass the exam.
It is an interesting debate but I will save judgement until someone who has experience of both courses can make a considered judgement, maybe a tutor.

All recognised quals have been accredited by OfQual . C&G is just one provider albeit the most recognised. The Level 3 units in the EAL courses should therefore match the C&G 2394/2395. They can also be done for half the price of C&G in some places.
They SHOULD in theory be accepted by the industry but may or maynot be do in practice
http://www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk/vocational-qualifications.html

All recognised quals have been accredited by OfQual . C&G is just one provider albeit the most recognised. The Level 3 units in the EAL courses should therefore match the C&G 2394/2395. They can also be done for half the price of C&G in some places.
They SHOULD in theory be accepted by the industry but may or maynot be do in practice
Vocational Qualifications

Open book against closed book. On what planet SHOULD they match the C&G ? Regardless of whether the pathetic industry regulators decide they are on par, anyone with half a brain cell can see they aren't even close.

While C&G are the most well known I think it's wrong to dismiss the EAL version when the nic and jib recognise it.

Open book vs Closed book.

No comparison. Anyone can read something from a book, give someone with half a brain that knows nothing about electrics and in theory they could still pass the open book exam. Therefore, it's a complete farce.

Reply to EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net