Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Earth bond to external oil boiler.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

External oil boiler, (just outside kitchen) oil pipe buried through garden to tank. Plumber says it doesnt need bonding as its outside? Am i missing something?? Copper pipes entering house from boiler.
    Thoughts

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Sounds like one of the ‘examples’ given in BS7671, that requires bonding.

3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - guessing the boiler will be earthed via cpc, but any pipe entering the house may need bonding I'd have thought. Perhaps confirm installation instructions whether the external boiler, external oil tank and pipework needs any special treatment. Maybe Mr Plumber's done that?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. Bellendian

Bellendian Regular EF Member

The oil pipe won't if it doesn't enter the building. The ch primaries are likely to need bonding where they enter the building if they are metallic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

The last one I did the oil pipe was plastic,but if it’s metal & enters the house then it needs to be bonded.
    Just like back in the good old days.

6. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Don't listen to a plumber!!
    As above, incoming metallic pipework that is extraneous will need bonding at the point of entry

• Like Like x 2
  7. Midwest

I've altered that, like some do; I'd argue it needs bonding no matter what they say, in a non Boyszone Kim way.

8. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Well the regulations only require the bonding of extraneous conductive parts, you are welcome to waste your time and customers money, I'll stick to the requirements! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

I agree if the pipes entering the property from the boiler are also copper then this is bringing an extraneous conductive part into the installation and requires a main equipotential bond.
    I though that pipes had to be copper within 3 meters of a boiler but could be very wrong on that?!

10. Bellendian

Bellendian Regular EF Member

Think it's normally 1m, but don't quote me on that. At the end of the day it's down to the MI's for each boiler.
    To an extent, you don't care. If water clown has used plastic then no bond, if it's metallic then bond it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Midwest

Testing, testing. All I would say then, over the course of time, a lot of people have had their time & money wasted.

12. DNO

DNO Active EF Member

The PME requirements are that the tank/pipework (external) is staked down. Internally, as always a bond is fixed on the consumer side of the tap and any insulated insert. This has nothing to do with wiring regulations which are non mandatory.