Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Earth bonding question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. haptism

haptism Regular EF Member

A house has incoming water in copper to the stopcock not far from the floor. Then after the stopcock piping is in plastic, however some upstairs piping is in copper again.

The water has no bonding atall at present, would a bond to the incoming copper be all thats needed or would i need to bond the sections of copper aswell. Thanks all

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Electrician's Arms

is this a new house or old!

3. haptism

Its old

4. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Bond to the copper incoming only, but that may change when the 18th comes out...

5. buzzlightyear

just bond to water services only .

6. haptism

Great, was leaning towards that but thought to ask you sages of old. Never come across this before, suppose alot of houses are like this now with people going in for plastic pipes :)

7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Many new have blue plastic water main incoming. I haven't seen one "plasti-bonded", but I bet someone has :rolleyes: .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I have seen one...but to be fair,it was by the sparks admission,a way of "keeping it from flapping about..."

He said it was a 10 meter run of 10mm to the MET,and he didn't have the heart to cut it off,flush with the mortar,around the ducting that the new water pipe come through.

I have also seen,in an airing cupboard,where there must have been at one point,six 15mm pipes,all with bonding clamps,and a rarely seen continuous piece of 6mm going on,to the loft...all but two pipes were replaced for plastic,so some dude put three clamps on each remaining copper pipe...quite neat,too :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

If the incoming water pipe is metal and accessible to touch then I would bond it before it turns to plastic only.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

My plastic incomer is bonded just above the plastic - thats because out incoming mains failed after I had rewired it!;)

11. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

How about, just do a quick test? That'll tell you everything that needs/doesn't need bonding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Have you tested the copper pipework after the stopcock to see if it rates as "extraneous metalwork"

• Like Like x 1
  13. haptism

No Pete I havnt', the 7ft of plastic pipe after metal stopcock would surely prevent the occasional bit of copper pipe elsewhere being extraneous, its a small house with just one water supply.

14. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Probably have it tested in a matter of minuets then, an you've got a no if no buts answer.

15. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Right, but if you are concerned, a simple test will set your mind at ease surely?

16. haptism

Yep its worth a test to put mind at ease; have not started the job yet thou. The OP was to check if there is any obscure reg i could have missed about pipework being a mix of plastic/copper.

Anyhow (as mentioned in post #4), will regs change in regards to this when 18th arrives ?

17. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Not as far as I can see currently, however the board in charge of deciding the regs haven't yet finished deliberating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

....How about,mandatory fitting of converter clamp/amp/bluetooth adapter,which allows smart meter usage indicator,to double up as guage showing current carried by main earth?

...or a small electronic speaker,hidden in a lounge wall switch box,to remind the household to check operation of RCD's,every 3 months?

I've got more,you know...but it will have to wait for the 19th...

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. buzzlightyear

or send them SMS every 3 months on testing RCDs.

• Like Like x 1