Discuss Earth bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A house has incoming water in copper to the stopcock not far from the floor. Then after the stopcock piping is in plastic, however some upstairs piping is in copper again.

The water has no bonding atall at present, would a bond to the incoming copper be all thats needed or would i need to bond the sections of copper aswell. Thanks all

Many new have blue plastic water main incoming. I haven't seen one "plasti-bonded", but I bet someone has :rolleyes: .

I have seen one...but to be fair,it was by the sparks admission,a way of "keeping it from flapping about..."

He said it was a 10 meter run of 10mm to the MET,and he didn't have the heart to cut it off,flush with the mortar,around the ducting that the new water pipe come through.

I have also seen,in an airing cupboard,where there must have been at one point,six 15mm pipes,all with bonding clamps,and a rarely seen continuous piece of 6mm going on,to the loft...all but two pipes were replaced for plastic,so some dude put three clamps on each remaining copper pipe...quite neat,too :)

A house has incoming water in copper to the stopcock not far from the floor. Then after the stopcock piping is in plastic, however some upstairs piping is in copper again.

The water has no bonding atall at present, would a bond to the incoming copper be all thats needed or would i need to bond the sections of copper aswell. Thanks all
Have you tested the copper pipework after the stopcock to see if it rates as "extraneous metalwork"

Have you tested the copper pipework after the stopcock to see if it rates as "extraneous metalwork"
No Pete I havnt', the 7ft of plastic pipe after metal stopcock would surely prevent the occasional bit of copper pipe elsewhere being extraneous, its a small house with just one water supply.

No Pete I havnt', the 7ft of plastic pipe after metal stopcock would surely prevent the occasional bit of copper pipe elsewhere being extraneous, its a small house with just one water supply.

Probably have it tested in a matter of minuets then, an you've got a no if no buts answer.

Right, but if you are concerned, a simple test will set your mind at ease surely?

Right, but if you are concerned, a simple test will set your mind at ease surely?

Yep its worth a test to put mind at ease; have not started the job yet thou. The OP was to check if there is any obscure reg i could have missed about pipework being a mix of plastic/copper.

Anyhow (as mentioned in post #4), will regs change in regards to this when 18th arrives ?

Yep its worth a test to put mind at ease; have not started the job yet thou. The OP was to check if there is any obscure reg i could have missed about pipework being a mix of plastic/copper.

Anyhow (as mentioned in post #4), will regs change in regards to this when 18th arrives ?

Not as far as I can see currently, however the board in charge of deciding the regs haven't yet finished deliberating.

....How about,mandatory fitting of converter clamp/amp/bluetooth adapter,which allows smart meter usage indicator,to double up as guage showing current carried by main earth?

...or a small electronic speaker,hidden in a lounge wall switch box,to remind the household to check operation of RCD's,every 3 months?

I've got more,you know...but it will have to wait for the 19th...

Reply to Earth bonding question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net