Discuss Earth Electrode Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Starr

I have been tasked with carrying out some earth electrode and LPS testing using the fall of potential method but to do this I need to know the length of the rod. How do I work this out if I don't know the length?

Isn't the fall of potential method just a fancy name for the standard 3 wire Ra test using 2 spikes at 10 and 20 meters away from the earth rod?

Why do you need to know the rod length? You need to determine that your test spikes are located away from the zone of influence of the rod but you can do this by taking multiple tests and moving the spikes by 1 meter each time. If theres little difference in results (<10%) then you can assume that you've achieved this.

Is this an existing LP system?? Do you have any previous test certs for the system?? If it is and older/existing system, and the individual electrode values have been previously recorded, then all you really need, is the overall Ra value. Which to comply will need to be under 10 ohms, unless otherwise asked for individual electrode tests.

Electrode testing isn't the only tests you need to perform on a LP system, all joints in the air conductors system will also need to be tested with a high current Ductor tester... Don't forget to test the Test Point(s) on the down conductors after electrode testing and reconnecting them... lol!!

Reply to Earth Electrode Testing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Carrying out a periodic inspection at a domestic installation. Semi- detached house on a row of houses. I cannot for the life of me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Would like some advice on the below. Context: Rural French domestic installation TT system Earth rod is situated inside the property...
Replies
Views
Has anyone here got experience of doing a soil / earth resistance survey for the design of a large-ish site? We might be looking at a fenced area...
Replies
Views
We have a potential new site and it will need earth electrodes both for the LV side in general, but also for lighting risk. There may well be...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm nearly on my AM2 test and really enjoy the industrial side of things so I thought I'd learn by asking. I recently came across...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock