Discuss Earth In a MK Masterseal light switch....?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question to get a general consensus on this. I'm an adult apprentice by the way.

Recently I did small installation in a small substation (literally a 2m square hut) I wired it in plastic trunking/conduit and singles. so no access by joe public, and thus under control of a competent person at all times.

At the door I used a MK masterseal for the light switch, and since the light was closer to the fuse box than the switch, I only ran the neutral an earth to the light and then the lives to the switch.
My thinking was not to run another earth to the masterseal switch as it is fully plastic with no extraneous conductive parts. and thus just wasting cable to take an earth to a terminal on a plastic backbox.
But the guy in the company that checked over my work and did the testing completely slated me for not running an earth to the switch.
His argument being If it was ever changed, there would be no earth at the point. fair enough, but as it is wired in trunking would it be hard to run in an earth?? No.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys would run an earth in this situation?

(I did after he wasn't happy and at the end of the day he's the gaffer)

As others have stated above, on the CPC issue...

Though this guy had no right to ''completely slate you'', For a start you should have been under a fully qualified electricians supervision, not working on your own, especially when working in a substation!!!

At the door I used a MK masterseal for the light switch, and since the light was closer to the fuse box than the switch, I only ran the neutral an earth to the light and then the lives to the switch.

So you didn't connect the small neon lamp on Masterseal switches (or whatever they use these days) either then??

Last edited by a moderator:
I would usually have put in an earth, its just in this instance I had thought the enclosure was a sufficient barrier, but I shall run earths in the first instance from now on. :)

The subby was dead, the incoming cables were not even pulled in to the building. so no safety issues there, haha.

No I didn't connect the neon, its in there so it could be connected if a neutral was run to the point.

If the conduit going to the switch gets damaged there is no earth to allow the fuse to blow.

Also you have ruined the ip rating of the switch if you have a conduit and adaptor going into it, especially if top entry.

Boydy

Your dropped a clanger, but you are learning and have learned today not to forget to pull one in again, as your a trainee you won't get hammered here for that, would you have been a 17 dayer you would be in tears by now lol

Boydy, very valid point on the mechanical aspect, hadn't considered that.

MDJ every days a school day and yes, I have certainly learned today!

its a good forum for learning, I like to get a few different peoples opinion on things as I work for a small company!

One way to look at it is if the lighting fails, with an earth terminal at the switch you have a reference point for testing.

I’ll be honest I’ve never had the pleasure of being able to use plastic conduit.

One way to look at it is if the lighting fails, with an earth terminal at the switch you have a reference point for testing.

I’ll be honest I’ve never had the pleasure of being able to use plastic conduit.

I really do not like plastic at all.

I would rather put galv conduit or copex down a wall than plastic

Nothing wrong with plastic in the right situation. Looks better than galv in domestic situation. Daz

Earth is required , also the neons work through the line in and out and through the lamp on the master seal range of switches , so no neutral required normally ,

Reply to Earth In a MK Masterseal light switch....?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net