Discuss Earth leakage and EICR's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have an installation that has an inherent earth leakage of about 15mA. The issue I have is that when I go to do an RCD test it trips due to the the additional current created by my MFT.

Question is, if this was an EICR what would you code it as and why? My take on this is that 15mA is still within safe limits and that its my machine that is taking it over the threshold, and that the costs to hunt out the leakage wont be always beneficial to my customer.

Kind regards,

Chris

So what's causing this inherent 15mA of leakage would be a good place to start??

You should actually be testing the RCD device at it's load terminals with the load conductors disconnected. You are testing the RCD device not the circuit, ....that should have been thoroughly tested prior to RCD testing...

The CPC of a circuit is functional as well as protective, not all earth currents are fault currents. As above, test the functionality of the RCD with no loads connected, if the standing leakage is causing nuisance tripping then it will need to be established if it's a fault current or not and either fix it or redesign to accommodate it.

With the load disconnected my test shows 25mA-30mA and with load connected 15mA. So strictly under normal use it is doing its functioning all be it at lower than 30mA, but around 20mA.

The reason I ask is that strictly its works, but its the MFT is causing it to trip before I can do the test. Hence the question that on an EICR is this really a C2 or still a C3 with the need to investigate further.

I guess my concern is that its only tripping because the test Im doing at the circuit end is pushing it above 30mA, but the rcd is within the window that its not faulty.

You should actually be testing the RCD device at it's load terminals with the load conductors disconnected. You are testing the RCD device not the circuit, ....that should have been thoroughly tested prior to RCD testing...

OP - read this again.

I guess my concern is that its only tripping because the test Im doing at the circuit end is pushing it above 30mA, but the rcd is within the window that its not faulty.

You are testing it incorrectly, it should be tested at the outgoing terminals of the RCD with all loads disconnected

With the load disconnected my test shows 25mA-30mA...
So the RCD is operating fine.

The reason I ask is that strictly its works, but its the MFT is causing it to trip before I can do the test. Hence the question that on an EICR is this really a C2 or still a C3 with the need to investigate further.
I'm confused, why would you code it if it's working perfectly?

I’ve got a feeling he’s talking about taking earth loop readings on the “No trip” setting but it’s still tripping the RCD?

All loads should still be isolated whilst doing a Zs so you should have no leakage.

With the load disconnected my test shows 25mA-30mA and with load connected 15mA. So strictly under normal use it is doing its functioning all be it at lower than 30mA, but around 20mA.

Your dilemma was answered in post 2?

ok, no it wasn't, because what you meant isn't what was asked!

Are you saying you can't Zs test on one circuit or all circuits? I feel more info is needed to help, but...

Calculate your Zs readings. Put a note in the EICR that the Zs readings were calculated because of the tripping. Were the R1+R2 and IR readings all OK?You then need to discuss the issue with the client. What you then do, or not do will depend upon your terms of reference/engagement from the customer for the EICR.

test the RCD as per post 2.

Given the the question and the above captioned comment do you feel competent to do this work mate?

Last edited:

On the basis of what you have written here, did you turn off the other MCB's connected to the same RCD?

What ever the outcome of the tests, I would write a comment about the existing earth leakage on the report - whether it merits a C3 is another question.

On the basis of what you have written here, did you turn off the other MCB's connected to the same RCD?

What ever the outcome of the tests, I would write a comment about the existing earth leakage on the report - whether it merits a C3 is another question.

Tested without any loads, tested with all mcb's off I got 25mA at the rcd, which is an up front rcd before and consumer unit. If I test at the circuit end where I got my highest R1+R2 on a no trip setting then the RCD was still tripping when i try to measure Zs or do an RCD test at the same point. Now I know that it's earth leakage that's causing the issue and the rcd itself is fine. I've no issue calculating Zs, but I don't like the fact I cant do my tests at the point of highest R1+R2 without tripping it.

Tested without any loads, tested with all mcb's off I got 25mA at the rcd, which is an up front rcd before and consumer unit. If I test at the circuit end where I got my highest R1+R2 on a no trip setting then the RCD was still tripping when i try to measure Zs or do an RCD test at the same point. Now I know that it's earth leakage that's causing the issue and the rcd itself is fine. I've no issue calculating Zs, but I don't like the fact I cant do my tests at the point of highest R1+R2 without tripping it.

So this is one circuit you are dealing with?
What are the circuit details - what does it do, what are your test values? Cont, IR, Zs Ze/Zdb
You say all loads off, are they also unplugged/disconnected?

It would help us to understand the problem if you stated exactly what the 'load' is that's causing this high leakage to earth and why you can't isolate or disconnect the load in order to take a Zs measurement at the downstream end of the circuit.

Are you saying that with all MCBs off you had a 25mA earth leakage? Or do you mean a ramp test tripped the RCD at 25mA?
You are doing the RCD test incorrectly, this should be carried out at the RCD, not at the end of the circuit.
Did you have all loads disconnected when you carried out the Zs test? You could always use the alternative Zs test method.

There is an alternative method of testing Zs that does not require your instruement to be on a "no trip" setting.

Edit. Notice this has been mentioned above.

Reply to Earth leakage and EICR's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock