Discuss Earth Leakage Clamp Meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Seems I've fallen foul of this poor quality product;

Dilog dl6507 beware! - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/dilog-dl6507-beware.101199/

And I was so cock sure here;

Earth Leakage tester - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/earth-leakage-tester.108917/

Mine was the CM DT-9809, purchased 12-3-18 for £95, from forum sponsor test-meter. Only used a couple of times, got it out today to check, before using on a job tomorrow, and doing all sorts silly readings, apart from when I clamped round live meter tail, and it gave a zero reading. Rang test-meter, and out of warranty, and repair minimum is £100+!

So, can you list your recommendations, my price range is about £200. Thanks.

Last edited:
Consumer Rights Act 2015, came into force October 1st. Not sure if its retrospective.

Edit; the Sales of Goods Act, wasn't so accommodating.

Last edited:
Consumers rights act was 1979, the 2015 is the same but extends those rights to goods bought over the internet as well, it depends on what has failed and how old it was at the end of the day e.g. If you had a brand new washing machine out of warranty and the motor went after about 2yrs, if you can show through an independent engineer that it was premature failure of the motor long before it's expected life time and the washer has not been misused, overloaded etc then you are covered for a replacement, and all expenses incurred during the process.
The grey area comes into play when it is more than a few years and you then have to establish a expected life time of the part... this can get tricky the older the part is.

Got it at a trade show, well I didn't I thought about it and thought nah! Then like all tool tarts regretted it so rang Napit and said I was gonna buy one at the show but they ran out and told me to ring them and get the discounted price. Did I say I am a pikey as well? No?...

Consumers rights act was 1979, the 2015 is the same but extends those rights to goods bought over the internet as well, it depends on what has failed and how old it was at the end of the day e.g. If you had a brand new washing machine out of warranty and the motor went after 2yrs, if you can show through an independent engineer that it was premature failure of the motor long before it's expected life time then you are covered for a replacement, and all expenses incurred during the process.
The grey area comes into play when it is more than a few years and you then have to establish a expected life time of the part... this can get tricky the older the part is.

I think I'm toast with a product at under £100, 3 years old?

Got it at a trade show, well I didn't I thought about it and thought nah! Then like all tool tarts regretted it so rang Napit and said I was gonna buy one at the show but they ran out and told me to ring them and get the discounted price. Did I say I am a pikey as well? No?...

How much Conner?

I think I'm toast with a product at under £100, 3 years old?
You would be surprised what happens when they know you are fully aware of your rights, a warranty is just a no hassle exchange of goods, when that runs out you need to present your case but less than £100 quid you have to question is your time and getting it independently checked cost effective (don't let them do the checking for you, they have an interest not to pay out).

By what you describe I would replace the batteries and check for corrosion on the battery connection tabs ... the symptoms are similar to a voltage drop of the battery as it runs out, this can also be caused by corrosion if you had it on the shelf for a long time and the batteries have leaked and/or the points corroded.

I've been looking at the martindale cm69 but will now consider that megger also.

as people have suggested already, if you can show that the item has failed before it might reasonably expected to then the maker or seller is liable to repair or replace. take a tv, if it stopped working after 13 months of day to day use then you would successfully argue that a tv in such circumstances should last much longer than that, so its clearly a defective product and as such should be replaced by the manufacturer.
I know somebody at a previous company i worked for who had a fancy phone signal tester for the mobile networks and masts, it packed up just out of warranty, in the end he bought another and swapped over the insides before sending the new body back with old circuitry and got a refund, he ended up with effectively a brand new testing trickery machine and i suspect the manufacturers never even realised!

consider that megger
I think navigation and the menu system is a bit obscure but megger were really good on support for the product and phoned me personally when I raised a question. Because the clamp is shielded you can put it around the two incomer tails and it works out the difference between them and bases the difference on the earth leakage on the whole installation. Indispensible when the dread call comes "My RCD keeps tripping!"

Reply to Earth Leakage Clamp Meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock