Discuss Earth leakage problem with inverter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Markus D

Hello all,
This is my first post so hope I'm in the right place for my question!
I sell single-phase frequency invertors that drive variable-speed borehole pumps, a product from Italy - it's single-phase 230v in and three-phase 230v out from the invertor to the pump's motor. This invertor uses a standard plug which the well-driller simply connects to an available wall socket.
About 3% of the installations give problems with the RCD tripping. We ensure it's a 30mA, has no other equipment connected in, and still it trips. I heard this can be a problem with the fast switching in an inverter.... My question: is there a simple filter that I can fit that reduces/removes the earth-leakage problem? Or is there another solution?

You can get rcd's that screen the normal leakage against fault leakage and are less likely to nuisance trip otherwise redesign your install to suit the problem if possible.

Hi Markus, welcome to the forum.
The problem you have is the filter in the inverter is what cause most of the earth leakage. Sticking another filter on will only make the problem worse.
You could try using an isolation transformer supply.

The pump requirements may specify rcd protection, this is often the case now with 230v ones that can be simply plugged in, the OP may need to check this.

Good day I also have a issue. The earth leakage of the house is continuously tripping on the inverter AC input is to charge the batteries and output to supply again 230V. I am using a 3.5KW ecco solar charge system.

Reply to Earth leakage problem with inverter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net