Discuss Earth Leakage Test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DuaneMHunt1976

Once asked if a normal Multi Meter could do most of what a PAT tester could (ie saver £££ £350 for the machine an £75 for it to be tested) <Shows how slow i am at recalling things> but some years ago i did 2377-22 and didnt recall it from there.

I do own the 3rd Edition Code of Practice for in-service inspection and testing electrical Equipment and found small note in there about it, but in the 4th Edition seems to vanished, no ref in the index or any thing to it.
Looked online and most posts about it are from 2009 or courses that never updated the information.
So did the Earth Leakage Test die and just said the Insulation Resistance test dose same job.

Not all portable appliance testers have this facility as the most common in-service tests are earth continuity, insulation resistance and functional tests. Some appliances such as heating and cooking appliances however can give "false" IR readings due to the design properties of the heating elements which can be prone to moisture absorption if they have not be used, so you can either switch the appliance on to drive off this moisture or carry out the touch current measurement (leakage test).
In my view using a multi-meter is unprofessional and you should use a tester specifically designed for the purpose of carrying out these tests, some of which give Pass/Fail indication.

Not all portable appliance testers have this facility as the most common in-service tests are earth continuity, insulation resistance and functional tests. Some appliances such as heating and cooking appliances however can give "false" IR readings due to the design properties of the heating elements which can be prone to moisture absorption if they have not be used, so you can either switch the appliance on to drive off this moisture or carry out the touch current measurement (leakage test).
In my view using a multi-meter is unprofessional and you should use a tester specifically designed for the purpose of carrying out these tests, some of which give Pass/Fail indication.
Once asked if a normal Multi Meter could do most of what a PAT tester could (ie saver £££ £350 for the machine an £75 for it to be tested) <Shows how slow i am at recalling things> but some years ago i did 2377-22 and didnt recall it from there.

I do own the 3rd Edition Code of Practice for in-service inspection and testing electrical Equipment and found small note in there about it, but in the 4th Edition seems to vanished, no ref in the index or any thing to it.
Looked online and most posts about it are from 2009 or courses that never updated the information.
So did the Earth Leakage Test die and just said the Insulation Resistance test dose same job.
A Multi meter and a Megger is all you need

Next to the volt stick

If you buy a machine that tells you If it passes or failed, you are slave to the machine.
You have to know what the results at NAD think for yourself. I know multi meters have build in tests with failed and pass are not always right, one could pass another test could fail it, you have to know what the results mean, and not knowing is very unprofessional.

Test on deffiernt makes of multimeter where done at a FE after calibration, some did pass their test board and some failed them, but it is down to the human to know how to use it and if the results are truely OK.

Don't live with a machine tilling if its passed.

Reply to Earth Leakage Test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock