Discuss Earth Loop Impedance testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsid

I have a standard KT71 pat tester and have been offered a job testing cash registers. The problem is I will be expected to also carry out an Earth Loop Impedance test and I do not possess the kit or the knowledge to do it. I am considering sub-contracting the Earth Loop Impedance testing part, but would like to know if the test is conducted on every cash register or just once on the main fuse/circuit board. Might be a job for someone here who is C&G qualified can do it.

if you can get hold of an earth loop impedance tester, something like a megger LT7, it's just a case of plugging it in and pressing the button ( hi current for non-RCD circuit, lo current for RCD ) and noting the reading.

I have a standard KT71 pat tester and have been offered a job testing cash registers. The problem is I will be expected to also carry out an Earth Loop Impedance test and I do not possess the kit or the knowledge to do it. I am considering sub-contracting the Earth Loop Impedance testing part, but would like to know if the test is conducted on every cash register or just once on the main fuse/circuit board. Might be a job for someone here who is C&G qualified can do it.

Your not an electrician are you, so to be honest you shouldn't be undertaking any of this work you have been offered. I doubt if you have any insurance to cover any of the said work either!!!

a bit harsh, eng54, he may well have 2377 and be competent to PAT test. it's not rocket science. he did say he was not knowledgeable to carry out fixed wiring tests.

Sorry Tel, but i don't think so, That so-called qualification is a joke at best. And does he have insurance cover to undertake any paid work. Guessing now, but if someone only has 2377, then he is/(was) probably someone trained to undertake Pat testing for a specific company unrelated to the electrical industry, who would have insured him for work carried out within their premisses only....

I hope i'm proved wrong mind!!

I thought it was common knowledge that 2377 does allow pat testing, that's why there are so many people taking the course. I was told fully qualified electricians see pat testing demeaning and CBA to take the work on unless they are desperate. I came here for advice but only get an argument. I was willing to sub the more qualified work, but I realise this is not the place, I have other people I can get the information I need, so its all water off a ducks...

Reply to Earth Loop Impedance testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net