• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Earth loop meter required in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nigel Cutler

Can someone help me find a particular type of earth loop meter that I used to use years ago. It was the type that had a earth wander lead and probe. You plug in the meter to a socket, then touch the probe to the casing of the fixed appliance, you get an ELI reading

I'm no longer a part P electrician but work as a gas engineer. I just want to check the boilers I work on without having to get into the terminal block.

I hope someone can help.

Can someone help me find a particular type of earth loop meter that I used to use years ago. It was the type that had a earth wander lead and probe. You plug in the meter to a socket, then touch the probe to the casing of the fixed appliance, you get an ELI reading

I'm no longer a part P electrician but work as a gas engineer. I just want to check the boilers I work on without having to get into the terminal block.

I hope someone can help.
Think you may need a PATest instrument

Thanks, westward10

Thanks Pete. What is the procedure with a Pat tester, I've never used one before?
Well all appliances should be subjected to what is now called In Service inspection and testing of Electrical Equipment or ISITEE, the old PATesting no qualifications required, but you do have to be competent, it depends on which model of tester you were to opt for.

Hi Pete. I am C & G qualified with 2391, was niceic reg for 20 years. No longer registered though. I don't do any electrical work now. I just want to check the boilers I work on have a proper earth before doing gas work. Many gas engineers just do a continuity test between boiler casing and machine screws on the fused spur, but this doesn't prove much. I just need a method of quickly checking it has a proper earth without having to access the fused spur.

Hi Pete. I am C & G qualified with 2391, was niceic reg for 20 years. No longer registered though. I don't do any electrical work now. I just want to check the boilers I work on have a proper earth before doing gas work. Many gas engineers just do a continuity test between boiler casing and machine screws on the fused spur, but this doesn't prove much. I just need a method of quickly checking it has a proper earth without having to access the fused spur.
Go with Westy's option then

Thanks Westward, started looking already. The don't trip the RCD I would I imagine?
Well yes and no. The D loc technology they used put a dc voltage through the circuit and most rcds at that time didn't trip because of this, today they will trip most rcbos and some rcds.

Reply to Earth loop meter required in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back