Discuss Earth/neutral fault. need advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, just after some advice and reassurance in what I'm doing as not encountered this fault before. So I have an earth/neutral fault.

Plug an appliance in trips in the RCD in the db. I have continuity between earth and neutral in the sockets from different circuits.

Now if I use my IR tester, drop out each neutral one at a time from each circuit and test between this and the earth bar in the board, this will tell me what circuit the fault is on? Then once found simple estimate where the middle of the circuit is and do the same? Go from there til I find the fault in the circuit?

I'm thinking likely a loose neutral connection shorting to earth, or damaged cable somewhere.

Thanks for and help in advance

Did you switch off the main switch or RCD to do the continuity test? If not you may be testing through the N-E link on the supply.

But yes your suggested test method seems right, but be aware that you'll want to switch off all the mcbs to avoid parallel paths via any connected loads

Does the RCD stay ON without any appliances plugged in? or the particular appliance which causes the RCD to trip.

Seems confusing how many Socket circuits do yo have? are they Rings? are they both controlled by the same RCD? how many RCDs are there in your CU?

Seems confusing how many Socket circuits do yo have? are they Rings? are they both controlled by the same RCD? how many RCDs are there in your CU?

If I remember rightly, there's 4 socket circuits, only one is a ring. Both circuits are controlled by 2 different RCDs, there is work being carried out at the moment replacing old cable, sockets, switches ect, person ran into this problem, rang me and I popped in on the way home

Two guys, one spark just out of apprenticeship and and diyer who's done this type of work before. Apparently house had been tested recently and came away fine, however, I'd already found a live neutral switched over in another socket from previous. I think il just have to go through it all in the morning, find out more with what's going on

If I remember rightly, there's 4 socket circuits, only one is a ring. Both circuits are controlled by 2 different RCDs, there is work being carried out at the moment replacing old cable, sockets, switches ect, person ran into this problem, rang me and I popped in on the way home
Stapes your answer doesn't make sense 4 circuits, 1 ring Both circuits??????

As you were testing with a neutral earth link outside the supply available and this would give an NE "fault" at all times then it I would say it sounds more like a neutral has been connected to the wrong circuit.
I.e. circuit one has line from circuit 1 and neutral from circuit 2, circuit 2 has line from circuit 2 and neutral from circuit one. This would cause the RCD tripping on load, but would generally trip both RCDs.
To get a link from the neutral on one circuit to the earth on anther would be difficult as earths can easily be linked across circuits and so any such fault would tend to show up on a single circuit.

Reply to Earth/neutral fault. need advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock