Discuss Earth Rod - Advice please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There is nothing out of the ordinary with what can be seen.
I suppose an eyesore depends on the perspective of the viewer

Is this normal then? It's just that I've never seen it like this before on other properties.
I'm mainly worried about buyers wondering what it is and what it's doing there.
seen far worse, just a rod banged in with no enclosure whatever. worry not. it's compliant even if you don't like the aesthetics.

It seems you electrician has contained the earth cable in black plastic conduit, to give some form of mechanical protection, i.e. when you cut back that bush.

I am looking forward to trying to tell a customer when the 18th kicks in that they now need a supplementary earth rod to add additional layer of protection to the dno earth.. No doubt they will curse and accuse me of robbing them..... oh the joys of being an electrician

it may be that when the 18th comes out, that will only apply to new installations and maybe rewires.

it may be that when the 18th comes out, that will only apply to new installations and maybe rewires.

I doubt it because the danger that it is there to reduce is more likely to occur in older installations.
I believe the regulation is coming as a reaction to the reported increase of cne conductor faults.

I think that earth rod set up is poor.. cheap s**t box and not buried.! Id get him to change that even if he wanted some extra money for doing so, but he should have buried the conduit!

I think that earth rod set up is poor.. cheap s**t box and not buried.! Id get him to change that even if he wanted some extra money for doing so, but he should have buried the conduit!
Bury it, how deep? Someone might attack that out of control 'bush' with a shovel.

I doubt it because the danger that it is there to reduce is more likely to occur in older installations.
I believe the regulation is coming as a reaction to the reported increase of cne conductor faults.
And long overdue - most of the rest of the world were way ahead with having Earth electrodes on TN-C-S systems.

I didn't fully follow the 18th edition changes post around a month ago. And I dare say that my concerns were mentioned in it. I don't think it is necessarily a bad idea at all, and it will give me a chance to dust off my rarely used SDS maxi! On the ground though, doing work day to day, I think all it will achieve is my quotes bring undercut hugely. There are plenty of cowboys out there already, and this will only help them IMO.

And I agree that the rod installation in the piccy is pretty tatty. Yeah ok it's in conduit, and the rod is enclosed, but I don't think that it is in a suitable location. Once that vegetation grows it could be forgotten about completely. I would have discussed it with the client and put a proper pit in, at the visible edge of the flowerbed at least.

Reply to Earth Rod - Advice please! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock