Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Earth rod and bonding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jonthesparks

jonthesparks Active EF Member

I've just done an EICR on an install earthed TT . The Ze on the rod was high 245 ohms , which in theory is fine as it is less than 1667 and the equation Ra X 0.03 > 50v is satisfied .
    When the gas and water bonds are reconnected the Ze drops down to 4.4 ohms ,

Do I put another rod in ?
    The property is in a built up area with pme available , do I get the Dno to fit pme ?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it's the gas and water pipes bring down the Ze. rather than relying on that, a PME system would be advantageous.

3. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Yes an enquiry for pme would be worth it if the customer fancies the outlay. The measured ze would be worth a mention on the report, as would the less than desirable situation of RCDs providing fault protection where a viable and more reliable alternative exists.

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

The rod resistance shouldn't exceed 200 ohms. It is nearly always the case for it to drop with the bonding connected due to parallel paths. This resistance could even increase in the drier months so yes I would try to look at PME.

5. madmaz

madmaz Regular EF Member

Earthrod is unstable you can't rely on the fact that gas and water pipe bonding brings tears resistance down as metallic pipes may be replaced in future with plastic equivalents. Either install new rod or tnc-s enquiry

6. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

For what reason should it not exceed 200 ohms?

7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - Table 41.5 note 2 has an observation that >200 Ohms "may not be stable", but that's all I've seen.

8. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Ha ha! I was going to say the same, davesparks, but couldn't be arsed to take the flack or argue the to$$.

9. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

If 200 ohms is stable, much better than the ra all over the place,with an earth to earth system which TT is, stability is key.