Discuss Earth rod needed for shed supply or pme allowed ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Everyone knows what is meant when they say 'extending the PME'. Nobody means physically extending it and taking over the DNO's job.

It is like correcting someone for saying 'sub-main' or 'ring main'. We all know what is meant and no real need to correct it.

I disagree, the forum is full of people from different stages from fresh faced apprentices to seasoned sparks, read the last several posts, it is clear members still have trouble understanding the systems and the differences 'by their own admission', I disagree also that this is somehow a similar comparison to ring and sub 'main' ... they were accepted and taught terminology it is only that they have been reworded that changed anything, PME and the term 'extending PME' with regards to a consumers side is wrong and has always been wrong, the fact it is a completely different system is why it shouldn't be casually used like it is, I have seen N/E linked together at a Distribution boards before, I expect they weren't sparkies who installed it but when incorrect terminology is banded around it wouldn't surprise me if they were...like you said, everyone says it but we know what we mean..Yes we do but not everyone knows is my point.

Either way, I'll break bread here and lets agree to disagree :)

I suspect most houses are supplied as TNCS not PME as per your definition, but the DNO still calls its supplies to a property as PME.
Hmm, if you say so

A pure TN C S supply network and a PME'd TN C S network behave very differently under fault conditions. I know the DNO's can be a law unto themselves but surely they've got a national standard that dictates the multiple earthing point requirements a supply network must achieve to qualify as PME. Just calling a system PME when it's not can be dangerous for those designing end user installations on that system; you really don't want to locally rod a supply that's not PME'd whereas there's advantages to a local rod if it's a correctly multiple earthed TN C S supply.

That's the problem Marvo, can take months to get an answer sometimes from DNO as we are not privy to that kind of info normally, the only guide is a PME label on the cutout so if it ain't there then I don't treat it as one.

As you have stated previously you do not export the PME as this stops at the service head, you are exporting for want of a better word TN-C-S. The earthing system is judged at the service intake point and not what is occurring previous to it.

The earthing arrangement is pme , in process of joining cps scheme tried ringing for advice and they said they can’t give me any advice as not member yet
I will let you in on a secret with the niceic and elecsa if you know the regstration number from a member, its on most websites and similar then you enter it on the voice prompt menu on the phone, then they put you through. never asked for anything more!

As you have stated previously you do not export the PME as this stops at the service head, you are exporting for want of a better word TN-C-S. The earthing system is judged at the service intake point and not what is occurring previous to it.
read marvos reply above, he explains it properly.

Whilst I value the knowledge & experience members on this forum have, if you have a question thats pertinent to a design or install on a working job, I don't see that you can rely on an response from a forum member. If it all goes horribly Pete Tong, I wouldn't like to be using 'the advice I received from Mr Miggins, on the electrical forum was' in my defence. Hence when I did seek guidance from my schemes technical, it was always in an email format, copy secured away.

I would use and have used this forum for advice, but always knowing the answer almost, and just seeking confirmation or agreement, like you would from any other working colleague.

I have read quite often the response, 'why ask some faceless individual on a forum, ask your scheme'.

Reply to Earth rod needed for shed supply or pme allowed ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net