Discuss Earth Rod Path to CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am installing a new earth rod in my house renovation and was wondering what the regulations state in regards to routing the 16mm cable back to the CU.
Does the cable have to route under the ground or can it enter the building above ground?
If above, is there any specific methods of doing this?
I saw a YouTube video that used an isolated strips attached to the outside wall (
), now i can't seem to see this method mentioned anywhere else or where to buy these from?
Any assistance would be great.

Cheers.
Jamie

That video is of a French installation, so you won't find the products used there in this country.

The obvious response to this is to advise asking the electrician who will be doing the work and testing it to advise.
The top of the earth rod should be enclosed in a suitable access box for inspection and testing, the earthing conductor can be buried and enter the building above or below ground but suitable protection may be needed for the portion below ground level.

Are you sure that one earth rod will be enough to give a reliable, stable and suitably low resistance connection to earth? Generally more than one rod is required to get a good Ra value.

That video is of a French installation, so you won't find the products used there in this country.

The obvious response to this is to advise asking the electrician who will be doing the work and testing it to advise.
The top of the earth rod should be enclosed in a suitable access box for inspection and testing, the earthing conductor can be buried and enter the building above or below ground but suitable protection may be needed for the portion below ground level.

Are you sure that one earth rod will be enough to give a reliable, stable and suitably low resistance connection to earth? Generally more than one rod is required to get a good Ra value.
Thanks for your reply.
I have considered using an additional rod yes and most probably will include 1 more.
With it being French, that makes more sense!

I will speak to the electrician signing the work off for me, but I think you have answered what i am after.
The cable will be enclosed in a form of protective housing, does this have to be metallic or can it be PVC? Im guessing this is more for corrosion protection than it being broken?

The minimum size for an Earthing conductor buried in the ground is 2.5mm2 if provided with mechanical protection and protection against corrosion (sheath or insulation).
For an Earthing conductor that is sheathed but not mechanically protected, the minimum size is 16mm2.

Table 54.1 is your guide.

I’m afraid that your approach to a TT earthing system is a little more complicated than your proposal. Let your electrician do it for you as the Ra will need measuring etc

Thanks for your reply.
I have considered using an additional rod yes and most probably will include 1 more.
With it being French, that makes more sense!

How long are you intending to make each rod? What space do you have available for the installation of these rods, they need to be correctly spaced to get the best results.

I am intending on using plastic conduit to protect within the ground.
I have also purchased another rod and a T joint to join both together, as they will be in parallel then the resistance should be greatly reduced. I am quite sure 1 will be good enough for the soil in the area, I will get my electrician friend to measure the Ra before installing a secondary pole.

the path can be anything you want.... concrete, tarmac, block paving, crazy paving, slabs, the list is endless. :D:D:D.

I have also purchased another rod and a T joint to join both together, as they will be in parallel then the resistance should be greatly reduced. I am quite sure 1 will be good enough for the soil in the area, I will get my electrician friend to measure the Ra before installing a secondary pole.

Do you have a link to the T joint, or even a picture? It's not something I've come across before and am. Interested to know.

What makes you say you are sure one rod will be enough? How long is this rod going to be?

Reply to Earth Rod Path to CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock