Discuss Earth spike , through wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just fitted a car charger , I need to put an earth spike in but having trouble siting it, the main consumer unit is on the garage wall , directly behind it is earth as the garage is set into the hill if you know what I mean so if I drill through the wall I will hit the mud, is it ok to then hammer the rods in so the rod will be out in horizontal and the rod box fitted on the wall underneath the consumer unit?.

Cheers
Grand

They need to keep track of every EV Charger installation due to overloading the system. Hence the legal requirement to register. See code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installations by the IET. The main book for us to follow along with BS7671

They need to keep track of every EV Charger installation due to overloading the system. Hence the legal requirement to register. See code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installations by the IET. The main book for us to follow along with BS7671

That’s lovely, but the thread is about earth electrodes.

Which law requires this? Can you provide a link to the act of parliament concerned?

Could you provide a link? I'm intrigued as I've never heard of this before!

As you are asking these questions how are you testing your installation as a normal MFT is not sufficient for the job. Either the Seaward EL-100 / Rolec tester or similar is required. The tester pretends to be the vehicle and does a handshaking exercise this proves install is safe & fit for purpose. Cant use the car as the tester as could be an expensive repair or potentially dangerous.

Spinlondon make a comment on usage of earth rod. The earthing arrangement for the installation has not been confirmed on the start of this thread. Suggest you make sure of the earthing arangement first then apply the regs. For simple explanation buy the book above or go to BS7671

Spinlondon make a comment on usage of earth rod. The earthing arrangement for the installation has not been confirmed on the start of this thread. Suggest you make sure of the earthing arangement first then apply the regs. For simple explanation buy the book above or go to BS7671
Not sure if this post was directed at me, or just mentioned me?
Also not sure whether the Installation Earthing arrangement is relevant.
From what I understand in this instance, the charging point is inside and is not for public use.
Perhaps to save me from having to purchase any literature, someone could explain why an Earth electrode would be necessary in this instance?

The following is a generalism for external EV chargers. The regs should be followed however it’s roughly the following. If it’s TNS and likely to be changed to PME then ev charger should have earth stake. If it’s PME then it must be earth stake. If it’s guaranteed TNS no earth stake. If it’s integral garage EV charger bonded to MET along with anything else in close proximity should have supplementary bonding hope that makes sense.

Reply to Earth spike , through wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net