Discuss Earth wire on domestic heating oil tank - various questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

I had a new consumer unit fitted 3 - 4 years ago. I was never told that I had to periodically test the RCDs by pressing the T buttons. Still, you live and learn!

Anyhow, it is a split unit. The left side tripped when I hit the button. But the right side didn't. Did a bit of reading but could figure it out. Until today. I remembered that when the unit was fitted the electrician also added an earth to our domestic heating oil tank, but this had become detached. I've re-attached it and hey presto, the RCD now works when tested.

So I thought I'd better check in with you guys....

1. Does it sound right that having the earth disconnected would have stopped the RCD tripping on being tested, and re-attaching would fix it?

2. What kind of connector is it (see picture below)? When I put the earth cable into the holes, the RCD wouldn't trip. When I out it into the gap and made sure it was touching the rod, it DID work and the RCD tripped when tested. So how should the cable be connected properly to that piece?

3. Just for my curiosity, why is the oil tank earthed?

4. Do I need to somehow cover that earth point/rod so that the dogs can't get to it, people don't trip on it etc?

Here are the pics:

Cheers

Max

Earth wire on domestic heating oil tank - various questions IMG_1149 Small.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Earth wire on domestic heating oil tank - various questions IMG_1150 small.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Earth wire on domestic heating oil tank - various questions IMG_1154 small.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi max at a glance i dont think its possible or suitable to comment on your questions, i would suggest get a local electrical contractor in or post your location on here as you need someone with knowledge to test out these isuues with the correct test equipment.

Absolutely no idea why anyone would earth that oil pipe to an electrode which itself has no fixing bolt. It should not have affected the rcd whether connected or not, the earth is pointless. Rcds can stick sometimes it may well be one of those things.

Many thanks for the replies.

Well, I feel like a bit of a ---- now! I've just gone out and disconnected the oil tank earth again, hit the test button, and it tripped fine. That's just weird. It was a few days ago that I first discovered that the RCD wasn't tripping when tested. I've tried it a few times since and never got it to work. The only time it worked (up until now) was when I reconnected the oil tank earth. And - just for the record - minutes before reconnecting I had tested and it still wasn't working. Hence why it seemed an almost certainty that it must have something to do with it (not from a theoretical point of view as I don't know much about such things, but just from straight logic). Very confused now.... Someone has suggested that if not used for a long time, these buttons sometimes have to be pressed a few times before they start working. I guess that is a possibility, although the coincidence is odd (how it worked when I connected the earth).

So yeah, it could be that it was sticking a bit...

Like I said in the OP, the consumer unit was fitted 3 - 4 years ago, and at the same time we had various other electrical jobs done around the house, including an Electrical Safety Certificate which as we had not long moved in and the house hadn't had one for quite some time (although it was only built in 1993). it was then that the earth was added to the tank (there was nothing there before that). I seem to remember he said it needed it before he could sign the house off and give the certificate. The missing fixing bolt may be down to me and perhaps was lost when it first got disconnected (bloody dogs!). But I'm left wondering why the electrician said this was necessary now that you're saying it wasn't...

Maybe I need to get in touch with him!

Thanks for the help.

Might be an idea to get an electrician out to test the rcd for peace of mind, as for the earth to the oil tank I see no purpose for it.

Try pressing button on each RCD

I'd agree. 'Earthing' the oil pipe by connecting it to a rod in the ground is totally pointless. It may need 'bonding' from the point that it enters the house to the Main Earth Terminal, but that is quite different.

RCDs should be tested quarterly (as the label in your photo shows), but householders rarely do this. Since one may be faulty, they should be tested with the correct test equipment by an electrician who knows how to use it.

@westward10 Yep, I think that might be a good idea. But in the meantime I can’t help but prod the situation. Like a sore tooth!

@Pete999. That’s what I have been doing over the last few days. The one on the left always worked, the one on the right didn’t. Until today. Now both are working fine. As above, I thought it was something to do with me connecting the earth at the oil tank, but it clearly ain’t that because after I’ve re-disconnected it (!) the test button still works fine.

@HandySparks. Yes, lesson learnt. Will put it in my diary to test quarterly.

One other thing….

I've been trying to think back, and I can't be 100% sure, but I think the electrician might have said it was something to do with the possibility of lightning striking. I've just rung the other half and asked her if she remembers why he said it was needed. And she said the same thing. So I can't imagine we've both imagined it!

So would that make any sense at all?

None at all, I suspect the person who did it has no idea as to the theory behind it.

I'll call him. He comes highly recommended by a electrical store, which I've always found to be very hlpful and has been around since I can remember. Likewise he has apparently been in the business for over 20 years. It will be interesting to hear what he says, and I will of course report back.

Just a thought, but has the oil pipe been used as an earth wire to the earth rod? And the earth rod is infact part of a TT earthing system? I would never do it that way but the OP did mention about lightning strikes?!

Just a thought, but has the oil pipe been used as an earth wire to the earth rod? And the earth rod is infact part of a TT earthing system? I would never do it that way but the OP did mention about lightning strikes?!
This crossed my mind too. Op any chance of a pic for the service head.

Can't see that earth wire doing much in a lightning strike except explode like a fuse wire.

Can't see that earth wire doing much in a lightning strike except explode like a fuse wire.
I wasn't meaning that the earth wire would earth a lightning strike, I meant that whoever put the earth rod in possibly mentioned to the OP that they needed to put an earth rod in as a method of earthing as TT systems tend to be used in areas where there is a high chance of lightning striking.

Reply to Earth wire on domestic heating oil tank - various questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock