Discuss Earthing a gas pipe in attached garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My house has a PME earth system. The gas pipe in the garage has a 6mm earth wire already but I've been told this should be changed to 10mm.I'm having an EV charging point fitted externally which required an earth rod to be installed (32ohms impedance measured)-PME cannot be used with an external EV charging point. Would it be acceptable to disconnect the 6mm PME earth from the gas pipe and connect the 10mm cable to the EVSE earth rod?

My house has a PME earth system. The gas pipe in the garage has a 6mm earth wire already but I've been told this should be changed to 10mm.I'm having an EV charging point fitted externally which required an earth rod to be installed (32ohms impedance measured)-PME cannot be used with an external EV charging point. Would it be acceptable to disconnect the 6mm PME earth from the gas pipe and connect the 10mm cable to the EVSE earth rod?
If the GAS pipe in your garage is the incoming feed to your house, then you need to BOND it to the MET which will be at the entry point of the Electric cable and meter, you are not earthing the gas pipe you are bonding it to earth

No

No. It'll be a bonding conductor (not an earth wire), which needs to be connected to the main earthing terminal near the incoming electrical supply, not a separate rod.

I would say no on the basis the existing 6mm is running to the house CU / MET and the advice you have is that this needs to be upgraded to 10mm - back to the CU / MET.

Make the entire garage TT bond the gas in the garage to the TT system. The EVC point can then be connected to the TT system. Run a seperate 10mm bond from TNCS MET In the house to point of entry of the gas to the house. Assuming garage has own board and RCD.

Edit: ignore this as I assumed it was detached from the house.

Last edited:
Hi Phil - let me paraphrase a sentance from the EV charging Code of Practice section 6.6 "when an EV charging point is supplied from a dwelling with PME, earthing and bonding require careful consideration". Then there's the EV section 722 in BS7671, another riveting read, no doubt.

It sounds like your gas bonding was not up to scratch from a change to PME and so that just needs to happen. The design of the EV system is another thing, imho :)

Last edited:
upload_2017-8-11_17-51-0.png
we will have to wait on this one!

Oh, that's why you are 'top poster of the month' - still beats the drivel that westy used to come out with though!

Sorry westy. Just trying to make Tel feel better about being 'top poster of the month' not everyone can handle the responsibility whereas YOU, now you excel at being TPOTM.
Would you like to enlighten me with examples of this drivel.

Reply to Earthing a gas pipe in attached garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net