Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Earthing a T5 Fluorescent Fitting in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

I have a row of fluorescent fittings under the kitchen wall cupboards - all fed from a fused spur at one end. One of the fittings (near the end of the run) has failed and I've bought a replacement but unlike the existing fittings, the replacement requires an earth connection. The existing fittings are all linked by two core wire and plugs from fitting to fitting so putting in three core all the way along from the fused spur would be a bit of a pain. On the other hand the new fitting will be situated near the extractor hood for the cooker, which has an earth connection. Would it be in order to leave in the two core all the way along and simply add a single core earth wire from the earth on the hood (less than a metre)?

The earth connection to the T5 appears to be needed for kicking the startup (metal band along the length of the tube) rather than for safety purposes because the fitting is largely plastic.

2. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

You would be beter off changing the first light near the spur for the new one and using that fitting to replace the faulty one, I would not sugest using the earth from the extractor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Why not source a direct replacement for the failed fitting or replace with a similar double insulated model

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

Unfortunately the fittings are all different sizes so can't do a swop - I did think about that!

5. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

I've already bought the replacement unfortunately - didn't think to check!

6. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

Any particular reason why using the extractor earth would be a no-no? They are both fed by fused spurs from the same ring.

7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

So return it to where you got it from.

8. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

Maybe will. Shame really though because it's a top quality fitting - far better than the existing stuff!

9. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

It's dated, everything like this is LED now.

10. Vital Spark

Vital Spark EF Member

I know - ideally I would have ripped the whole lot out and replaced with LED but the rest are OK and I've got a collection of spare tubes so it seemed the quickest solution. They're not that easy to source though, especially in the small sizes.

11. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

Just a bit of a bodge , The problem with using the extractor earth is that if at some point someone comes along and disconnected the extractor they may remove the earth to the light at the same time. If this is for your own house where know one else is going to touch the electrics then I guess it would be OK , Maybe put a label on the new earth cable identifying what its for for future reference.

• Like Like x 1