Discuss Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for this Paul. I haven't come across a TT system on-site yet, so great to see what it looks like in reality!!

Sorry meant to quote from the TT rod photo from post 59. Still it saves a bit of space.

Good points E54, I also wouldn't pig tail the earth cable. Wonder how long the connection will last exposed to the elements like that?

Just a note: Never pig tail a live conductor, you've basically just made an induction coil.

This has got me a bit confused, i was initially thinking TNS with the earth coming from the base of the cable but im swaying to TNCS with it running through the fuse..
20131021_165048.jpg

Hi all, since I'm only in my first year of my Level 2 C&G 2365 electrical installations it's always nice to be able to look at different set ups and recognise what they are, I saw the following and wanted to know if this one is a TN-C-S or TN-S install because I was thinking a TN-C-S but it looks like it's connected to the sheath so that makes it a TN-S install???

Thanks all
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388086471.805616.jpg

TN=S. it's clamped to the lead sheath of the supply cable.

Can't exactly see what type of clamp has been used in your photo, but if it's just a standard/typical pipe earth clamp, then it's not suitable for purpose, only Constant Pressure and Hepworth (think that's the name) clamps that require a tool to secure, are acceptable. 9 out of 10 TN-S cable sheath connections are made via soldered/lead wipe connections, clamps only being retrofitted as or when required!!

This is why I uploaded it, I came across the picture online and had an idea but since I'm a trainee was unsure, I certainly knew i had not seen it like that before, obviously I've seen a small percentage of what's to see but this was the 1st time I've seen some sort of clamp!!

clamps usually fitted if the soldered connection has broken off.

Hi all, since I'm only in my first year of my Level 2 C&G 2365 electrical installations it's always nice to be able to look at different set ups and recognise what they are, I saw the following and wanted to know if this one is a TN-C-S or TN-S install because I was thinking a TN-C-S but it looks like it's connected to the sheath so that makes it a TN-S install???

Thanks all
View attachment 21921
if in doubt then do a Ze...and a Zpn....if the PFC is the same then you can be pretty certain that you have a TN-C-S....
if not then its likely to be TN-S...

TT should be obvious

On a TT system an earth electrode (aka earth rod) needs to be installed. The rod needs to be available for inspection and testing, this can be achieved by an earth pit as below.

Picture_1_-_Copper_Earth_Rod_Inside_Precast_Concrete_Chamber.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

Just looked back over this thread and should have mentioned that if a rod has an exothermic or brazed welded connection, it doesn't really need or warrant an earth pit enclosure, (but the rod to cable connection should still be protected, say with amalgamating tape) unless it's only for location identification purposes. I would imagine, that in this case it's one of more than one earth rod position, the first having a removable bolted clamp connection for testing purposes.

I'll assume that this rod is a part of an industrial or commercial earthing installation or maybe even a lightning protection system, rather from a domestic installation??

Just looked back over this thread and should have mentioned that if a rod has an exothermic or brazed welded connection, it doesn't really need or warrant an earth pit enclosure, (but the rod to cable connection should still be protected, say with amalgamating tape) unless it's only for location identification purposes. I would imagine, that in this case it's one of more than one earth rod position, the first having a removable bolted clamp connection for testing purposes.

I'll assume that this rod is a part of an industrial or commercial earthing installation or maybe even a lightning protection system, rather from a domestic installation??
like a nest....

Hi folks. New member but regular visitor. ThanELECTRICITY SUPPLY 011.jpgk you for this very interesting thread, in a nice style too. I'm hoping to resurrect it. What do you think of this one then? I'll have more pics to follow, but what does this say to you please?

Attachments

• ELECTRICITY SUPPLY 011.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 211

Reply to Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net