Discuss Earthing arrangements to a generator and change over switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Need someone either confirming or someone to put me right!
Regulation 551.4.3.2.1
Protection by ADS shall not rely upon the connection to the earthed point of the system for distribution to the public when the generator is operating as a switched alternative.
A suitable means of earthing shall be provided.

To me this means when the generator becomes the main source of power to the installation, then the generator TNS earthing arrangement shall not be connected to the DNO supply authority earthing arrangement,say it’s pme arrangement.
Am I correct?

Yes, you must isolate the supply earth from the generator earth. Engineers working on the DNO network don't like back-feed from gennys, it makes their hair curl...

Yes, you must isolate the supply earth from the generator earth. Engineers working on the DNO network don't like back-feed from gennys, it makes their hair curl...
It’s just an argument I’m having with an ‘electrical designer/engineer ‘ on a job I’m on.
I say a link needs to disconnect the generator earthing from the dno arrangement when the changeover switch is utilised.
He says I am wrong.

As it says it shall not rely upon it rather than saying shall not be connected to it I interpret that as not necessarily requiring disconnection from it.
However you do need to provide adequate earthing for the generator supply so that it can operate independently of the DNO earth.

As it says it shall not rely upon it rather than saying shall not be connected to it I interpret that as not necessarily requiring disconnection from it.
However you do need to provide adequate earthing for the generator supply so that it can operate independently of the DNO earth.
That’s a fair point Dave.
Looks like I’ll have to go back with my tail between my legs :oops:

You need to be able to disconnect your earth electrode system so that it can be tested independently. But you probably don't need to disconnect it just because the genny is in operation.

If you had to disconnect the earth when changing over to generator supply then this would have to be incorporated into the changeover switch, all the changeover switches I have come across only switch the lines and neutral,

If you had to disconnect the earth when changing over to generator supply then this would have to be incorporated into the changeover switch, all the changeover switches I have come across only switch the lines and neutral,
Depends on the installation, I have seen both but the earth bar link was on a manually started genny.

I would assume this would then change the characteristics of the installation to a TT system while the DNO earth link was disengaged, and all TT regulations would be applicable at this stage

recommending that all earths should remain connected?.
Just for clarification
The earth bar has the following permanently connected:
equipotential bonding,
Generator earth spike
incoming earth from the DNO

recommending that all earths should remain connected?.
Just for clarification
The earth bar has the following permanently connected:
equipotential bonding,
Generator earth spike
incoming earth from the DNO

It’s just an argument I’m having with an ‘electrical designer/engineer ‘ on a job I’m on.
I say a link needs to disconnect the generator earthing from the dno arrangement when the changeover switch is utilised.
He says I am wrong.
I’m thinking it could be near impossible. consider 4 industrial units, all with a seperate DNO supply, common steel frame , all bonded ect ect , you have a backup generator how can you disconnect all there earthing connections

WPD are perfectly happy for us to leave the DNO earth connected when running on generators. HSE guidelines suggest connecting to true earth through an earthing point of an adjacent fixed installation. This I would think would it self be connected to the DNO earthing.

Reply to Earthing arrangements to a generator and change over switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock