Discuss Earthing cable running through kitchen cupboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WellBonded

Hi,
A few days ago I posted a question regarding some earth bonding work that was recently carried out at my home. The question was about bonding to the main incoming earth.

Today I have noticed that the cable which bonds to the water main has been run through the interior of two cupboards (a food cupboard and the cupboard under the sink), rather than the service void that exists behind the cupboards.

When I was initially shown the work, the cupboards were full and I could only see that the cable attached to the stop cock and appeared to run along the service void.

Having emptied the cupboards today, it is apparent that the contractor has run the cable inside the cupboard for the majority of the route (as shown by the attached pictures).

There is access to the side of the service void (although it is enclosed with a wooden panel). It would have been somewhat fiddly to drill a hole and feed the cable, but possible.

I suppose this is not immediately dangerous, because it is not a live cable, but it strikes me as a shortcut and as poor workmanship.

I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on whether this was at all acceptable.

Any input would be much appreciated.

20150208_124700s.jpg20150208_125649s.jpg

If you are just storing light materials in there no real issues as far as BS7671 is concerned. Damn right rude to install in this way without running it past you first IMO.

Just a complete bodge, should have installed it in some mini trunking at least to give it some mechanical protection and support it correctly.

Yes and it wouldn't have been much more difficult than bashing those clips in.

If not running it in the void behind the units I would have been looking at running it underneath behind the plinth.

on the other hand... behind the cupboards, in the void, how would he clip the cable to comply with BS7671?

Yes, I will be in touch with him.

I should have checked more thoroughly before paying him.

EDIT: In my defence it did appear to run from the stopcock into the service void, but I should have checked the whole route.

It's not your fault at all, you should be able to trust a tradesman to do a good job

Reply to Earthing cable running through kitchen cupboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net