• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Earthing cable to gas meter damaged in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I have just damaged my earthing cabling that connects to the outside gas meter while hedge cutting!
The cable is not severed completely but for now, I have taped up. However, what is the best way to repair this cable? Unfortunately, the cable is not long enough if I cut it before the damaged section to connect to the clamp on the gas pipe.
Is there a recommended way to fix this type of issue within regulations? I can provide photos if necessary. Thanks!

A pic might help. But in any case, after its repaired, it will need testing for continuity.

A small charge by a local sparks.

Yeah you know, cutting a hedge.
Just need crimping and sleeving. As above a small charge from an electrician.

A pic might help. But in any case, after its repaired, it will need testing for continuity.

A small charge by a local sparks.

Hi Midwest - attached at photos of both side of the cable. The sheath is damaged and interior doesn't look touched while the other picture shows a slit but it's not severed completely.

Yes, not my finest hour; I was using a hedge trimmer to cut back branches on a basil tree and the cable was nestled in at the bottom and caught up. ;o(

Earthing cable to gas meter damaged IMG_1252 - EletriciansForums.net

Earthing cable to gas meter damaged IMG_1251 - EletriciansForums.net

Not only do you need to consider how best to repair it, bust also how to add mechanical protection ..........

that cable shouldn't be just lying around.
Ack Murdoch - it was British Gas who put the meter and earthing cable in, so I should complain about this incident. It should have been better secured as you said.

Ack Murdoch - it was British Gas who put the meter and earthing cable in, so I should complain about this incident. It should have been better secured as you said.

well ........ you were using the cutters and should have taken more care:)

I doubt you will get very far with BG .............

you need to get this reviewed by a pro.

My father in law did the same to his satellite cable! Think re-routing & black plastic conduit might be called for.

Did BG insist on installing this new cable, during a smart meter installation?

Reply to Earthing cable to gas meter damaged in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back