Discuss Earthing from over head lines... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need to do some work on a house, detatched with overhead lines supplying it.

There is a cut out in meter cupboard then tails inside the house to an RCD or ELCB, then into ccu.

There is no earth present just the tails going throught the RCD in the CU.

My question is.. How can i tell what the earthing system is supposed to be? I need to add a garage unit for solar should i earth stake it? i need to add bonding as its non existant so i could also add that to the stake earth but i dont want to add a potential difference between the earths. There is no existing stake.

Could the earth be taken from the neutral in the ccu to act as a PME type system?

Not come across this before so any help much appreciated.

I think im wording it incorrectly.

Im well aware of the earthing systems, this house is only about 10 yrs old, no earth is taken from the origin so not tns or tnc-s and no earth stake, as i stated.

So there is no earthing system, hence my question. I have not come across the ELCB, i am qualified yes, about two yrs so i cant of come across everytjhing already could i?

It must be great to 'know it all'

Its basic stuff pal, it isnt about "knowing it all"

And yes you should have a earth rod installed/install one, its called a TT system, the overhead lines provide a line and neutral conductor only, you need a earth rod in there

What we were getting at mate is that regardless of whether or not you have worked on it, its basic electrical knowledge, you learn this stuff on day one

Im well aware of earthing systems etc more than competent, But a little thrown by a house that old having no earth installed. Was only asking for advice, its supposed to be a forum not the Xfactor judging panel!

its supposed to be a forum not the Xfactor judging panel!
I agree. We're much more bitter, twisted, sadistic and vitriolic than them:)
We all get it in the neck sometimes, my turn was over an RCD test. I got far worse than this

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to do some work on a house, detatched with overhead lines supplying it.

There is a cut out in meter cupboard then tails inside the house to an RCD or ELCB, then into ccu.

There is no earth present just the tails going throught the RCD in the CU.
I hope not, the only earth leakage breakers i know that has an earth connection are the old VOELB's

My question is.. How can i tell what the earthing system is supposed to be? I need to add a garage unit for solar should i earth stake it? i need to add bonding as its non existant so i could also add that to the stake earth but i dont want to add a potential difference between the earths. There is no existing stake. Yes you should install a TT earthing system for this property. You DO NOT connect bonding cables to an earth electrode!!! Both the main earthing conductor from the TT system and the bonding conductors should be taken to the installations MET. This is the only point where all earthing/bonding conductors would be connected together...

Could the earth be taken from the neutral in the ccu to act as a PME type system?
Now this is something where there is no excuse. Your actually advocating making a DNO neutral a TNC-S earthing point!!!! Totally illegal!!! ...You really do need to thoroughly go through BS7671 Reg's and the OSG's earthing sections, because contrary to what you have stated here, you do not understand earthing arrangements at all!!

Not come across this before so any help much appreciated.

The posters here are quite right in airing there views based on your OP. When i first read your OP i couldn't believe what i was reading, this is all basic stuff, there is nothing here that would cause an electrician any problem sorting out. And certainly not in the ways you are suggesting!!!

I agree. We're much more bitter, twisted, sadistic and vitriolic than them:)
We all get it in the neck sometimes, my turn was over an RCD test. I got far worse than this

Ha, well looking back it is a stupid question i deserved that! but what i had on my mind did not translate to paper, believe it or not im actually a pretty good spark, we've all asked a stupid question at some point! :)

Reply to Earthing from over head lines... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net