Discuss earthing metal backboxes in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you install a flylead to metal backboxes??

• Yes

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
who does this anymore? reason I ask is I was always taught just to put the earth straight into the faceplate, and as long as the metal backbox had at least 1 fixed lug then you don't need to put a separate earth from the faceplate to the backbox.

but, reading an article in a magazine about changing plastic socket fronts to metal ones, and it says it would be good practice to run a earth fly lead from the faceplate to the backbox as it is an exposed conductive part.

My Elecsa assessor this year tried to criticise me for not putting "fly leads" on the boxes. I answered by saying that for plastic accessories it wasn't mandatory, but metal it would be.

Agree with Lenny its good practice though, normally try to do it!

I always fit them, belt and braces but it only takes a few seconds to strip a bit of cable and fit it. Then when Mr DIY comes along he may actually use it so everything is earthed.

My Elecsa assessor this year tried to criticise me for not putting "fly leads" on the boxes. I answered by saying that for plastic accessories it wasn't mandatory, but metal it would be.

Agree with Lenny its good practice though, normally try to do it!

out of interest, why would you say it's mandatory with metal fittings but not plastic?

thanks

So no earth on the metal box, someone unscrews the socket whilst the circuit is still live, the installer had nicked the live when they stripped it or no grommet and the stripped live touches the box.
Or the live pulls out the socket when it lifted off and touches the box.

I've always earthed boxes, including metal adaptable boxes even if they didn't have an earth lug.

There are plenty of Good Practices that aren't in the Regs, yet.

"Someone" should not be working on electrical installations while they are still energised!

Or break the speed limit , or use a mobile at the same time. The regs are a minimum standard in my opinion , if you feel happy earthing the box for the time it takes where is the harm. Poll on this too lol.

It's not uncommon for people to unscrew the faceplates when tiling, then leave them like that until they "get around to refitting them."
Always a fly-lead for me, even if it does take 1 minutes longer.

We are required to earth exposed-conductive parts.
We are also required to connect CPCs to all exposed-conductive parts on a circuit.

A metal back box is obviously a conductive part, which leaves us to decide whether it is exposed.
Some say yes, others say no.

If you decide that it is exposed, and therefore requires earthing.
You are then left with deciding the method.
If you are happy that the 3.5mm chrome plated brass screw and the single galvanised fixed lug is an acceptable method for connecting the earth, then fine.
If not, then you will have to use a fly lead.

All that leaves, is to decide how to connect the CPC and the fly lead.
Do you connect the CPC to the back box, and then the fly lead from the box to the face plate?
Do you connect the CPC to the face plate and then the fly lead to the back box?
Or do you connect one leg to the back box, the other leg to the face plate and a fly lead in between?

Reply to earthing metal backboxes in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock