Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Earthing question?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by Ross1, Feb 22, 2012.

Discuss Earthing question? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ross1

Ross1 Electrician's Arms

Hi guys, I've got 2 x 10mm/sq at cu. 1 of them is giving me a ze reading of 176 ohms and the other 1 won't test on my fluke mf 1653b it is a tt install but no sign of rod.

How do I tell wether I'm getting a reading thru the gas or water bond, no signs of bonding any where.

Thanks

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    first if there's no bonding to gas or water, tou won't get your Zeaffected by them. yhis needs further investigation, as in find the rod or fit a new one , then go from there. get the bonding installed etc.

3. WPD Lad

WPD Lad Guest

What's in the MET?

4. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Are you sure there is an earth?

Is the system definitely TT and not an alternative supply missing an earth connection?

Always useful in situations like this if you take a picture to upload, even phones will do in most cases:thumbsup

*** Edit - Just read the comment about no sign of any bonding anywhere *** ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  5. Ross1

Ross1 Electrician's Arms

There is no MET, just 2 10mm/sq single earths disappearing into wall.

Why am I getting 100 odd ohms on the one 10mm and then when testing on the other 10mm my tester makes a funny noise and won't test......think it comes up with error code 4. Im testing both exactly the same.

6. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Are you getting sound contact on all terminals? I had a similar situation the other day when testing for Zs on a shower and I was adamant that I had sound contact but I had a re-shuffle, unplugged leads and re-plugged gave the fused connectors a good push to ensure they were connected properly and I then obtained a satisfactory reading.

7. Ross1

Ross1 Electrician's Arms

Yeah checked all contacts etc
    keeping in mind that this is a house that been renovated about a year ago (full rewire) no ring mains, spurs from many sockets, 2 socKets never worked. DIYer by the looks. Old board with no cover on it, so any thing possible here if you get my drift

8. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

is this a semi?....or a terrace?.....shared supply maybe....just because you have a cutout at the C/U for this house doesn`t mean owt.......could be that the supply comes from next doors cutout into yours and its THEIR earthing arrangements or extranious that your reading.....