Discuss Easiest way to be able to certify my own work. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been working with my partner for a while now.
I say 'partner' I did all the donkey work and he did the flashy bits and certificates. That's fine by me as he is a much more experienced Spark than myself.
However, circumstances have changed. I'm now left holding the baby.

I've never really understood the easiest/cheapest/easily accessible way of getting what I need to be able to 'certificate' myself.
That's my fault, probably because it was easy for me.
Any help on my long list of questions would be much appreciated as I'm down to my last million and really need to get back out there.

What courses do I need to do?
What are the cheapest/quickest one's?
What certification can I issue depending on what level I get to?
What 'level' do you need to be to issue a Periodic?

A little bit of background;
A few years ago I passed 2330 levels 2 and 3 and have worked for companies and privately with my partner.
I can test but am a little rusty.
I mostly do domestic work and obviously can't do anything without it being backed by proper qualifications.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I really can't seem to get anyone to give me an idiots guide to all these dark arts.

Many thanks in advance.

Gerry.

if you have 2330 level3, then afaik, just the 2382 ( 17th till next year then 18th) will be enough to apply to niceic,elecsa,naplit,stroma etc. i suggest yoy contact one of them for more details.

No, not for Domestic Installer I think, if that was the case the NICEIC would lose half of its membership :)
Once working as a domestic installer apparently you can do a 2397 nvq L3 that covers just domestics. it takes a couple of months at most to do and around £700. I know a young lad doing it after his work went under and couldn't finish his apprenticeship or level 3 2365 as his work paid for his course fees, so he had to go out on his own...
to join elecsa he needed just his 17th edition, and then sat a online knowledge test this was a work around the nvq3 or equivalent rule for qualified supervisors. They didnt ask him about testing qualifications, or anything else. just did he have his 17th edition and if no L3 qualifications then he had to sit the multiple choice online test for them to tick a box. ultimately they all want your money.. I have never heard of anybody being refused entry as it were!!

What courses do I need to do?
What are the cheapest/quickest one's?
What certification can I issue depending on what level I get to?
What 'level' do you need to be to issue a Periodic?
>17th edition to join niceic/elecsa and sit there pretend multi answer test at home on your computer... also maybe worth doing a 2392 testing course to brush up as on the assessments they like to see you can test well
>one of the course warehouses such as tradeskills for you is probably the quickest and maybe cheapest route.
>to sign off on domestics (full scope) you join one of the schemes / extortion rackets
>
For periodics you need your 2395 or 2391 equiv but you need more than a certificate to do a good periodic. experience is worth more than any bit of paper..Nothing to stop you doing them anyway if you know what you are doing. Its your name on the bottom if something goes wrong after you give the all clear!

I think 2382 is 17th Ed/BS7671. If you are a 'DI/domestic installer' I don't think you need an inspection and testing qualification like 2391. Its OK not to know what you are doing as a DI as only householders get fried :)
Didn't know qualifications were required at all to be a DI from my recent experiences of them.

Thank you all.
In my experience you get a different answer from everyone you speak to. Strange to think it's so complicated. Why should it be.
Looks as though I'll have to shell out a nice few quid to tick some boxes then.
Or maybe get someone to cert my work after I've finished.
I suppose that's a controversial statement though.

Reply to Easiest way to be able to certify my own work. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock