Discuss Ecs and jib issue in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fmspark

Hi, i am looking to get clarification regarding one of my friends Qualifications.
I have been through all the motions of contacting CITY&GUILDS, NIC & JIB but still not got were i need him to be :(

We contacted city&guilds and obtained the electrical installation 236 part 1 cert and all his accreditation's to part 2 but he had failed the last multi choice paper in 1994 and never resat. His reputation had pulled him into various companies were he climbed the ladder over the past 20 odd years but now his last company of 12 years had to make his position redundant and he is now left unsure to what he is qualified as. I would like to come work with myself but would need to get him his electricians CSCS card.
NICEIC Said that they would not see why he could not obtain an electrician or maintenance electrician status but may have to undergo a small competencies assessment.
He has:
4 year electrician apprenticeship for conveyor controls company.
236 part 1 certification
236 part 2 accreditation towards (not full cert)
16th edition
17th edition
IOSH Managing Safely
National Manager and Director endorsement references from previous employer

He has sent all this back for his CSCS Card along with CV and they just returned him a white card displaying electrical Labourer, ancillary operative. No letter stating why they came to this decision...

This seems a bit harsh and degrading to him & myself, there must be something that can be done to bring him inline for qualified engineer or is it a matter of him to keep pushing JIB?

Regards

Hi, i am looking to get clarification regarding one of my friends Qualifications.
I have been through all the motions of contacting CITY&GUILDS, NIC & JIB but still not got were i need him to be :(

We contacted city&guilds and obtained the electrical installation 236 part 1 cert and all his accreditation's to part 2 but he had failed the last multi choice paper in 1994 and never resat. His reputation had pulled him into various companies were he climbed the ladder over the past 20 odd years but now his last company of 12 years had to make his position redundant and he is now left unsure to what he is qualified as. I would like to come work with myself but would need to get him his electricians CSCS card.
NICEIC Said that they would not see why he could not obtain an electrician or maintenance electrician status but may have to undergo a small competencies assessment.
He has:
4 year electrician apprenticeship for conveyor controls company.
236 part 1 certification
236 part 2 accreditation towards (not full cert)
16th edition
17th edition
IOSH Managing Safely
National Manager and Director endorsement references from previous employer

He has sent all this back for his CSCS Card along with CV and they just returned him a white card displaying electrical Labourer, ancillary operative. No letter stating why they came to this decision...

This seems a bit harsh and degrading to him & myself, there must be something that can be done to bring him inline for qualified engineer or is it a matter of him to keep pushing JIB?

Regards

im afraid that's how JIB operate. You must have NVQ level 3 if you want a jib grading.

The question is would he be recognized as an electrician outside the JIB circle with none JIB companies? and be able to apply for electrician/maintenance engineer jobs?

In my book he either meets the requirements for a JIB grade card or he doesn't and he'll have to do something about it to achieve the grade.

He does not have the 236 part 2 or the AM2, and due to the fact his apprenticeship was in 1994 that means he will be officially graded an electricians mate, he needs to finish those 2 exams, how he failed the multi choice bit amuses me to be fair, the written part was the hard bit and he passed that, very suprising, was he drunk the day of the multi choice?

he need nvq 3 and am2 now to be graded electrician , its this loss he did not bother with sorting it out then, and there is no way around it, he is a mate only but not end of world that is just for j,i,b grade

What Johnuk said. Although ive worked with many electricians who do not have a JIB card but have been in the industry for a while but that was sorted out with the company they work for

Trouble is with that though, a lot of companies ask for the gold card now as evidence of competance, unless your self employed where your on the 20% scheme you may struggle to gain employment without the card, just saying.

The question is would he be recognized as an electrician outside the JIB circle with none JIB companies? and be able to apply for electrician/maintenance engineer jobs?

What annoys me is a lot of agencies and companys will ask for a JIB card but they will not pay JIB rates! Agency rates are lower than JIB rates.

Reply to Ecs and jib issue in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net