Discuss ECS Card application & NVQ 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am a Bulgarian citizen who has been living and working in the UK around 5 years and would love to apply for ECS card. I have a master degree in Electronics but I don't know if it covers the NVQ level requirements for ECS card.

I also have 2394, 2395, 17th edition and recently passed H&S assessment.

I was hoping to get an Installation Electrician, Approved Electrician Gold Card but I am not sure if I am qualified.

How can I show the equivalent level of my education to obtain ECS card and what type of ECS card I can get with these qualifications ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot from now on.

Kind Regards
Hysnu

An electronic masters degree will not count towards an NVQ3, the NVQ3 is a practical portfolio collected by evidence of photo's, testimony's ect of you at work. XS training offer the NVQ3, see adverts on the right.

Thanks for the reply haptism.

Some of my colloquies who are from the same country and school as I am has their ECS cards. I went to collage and university in electric/electronic and studied 10 years in total. I have been also actively working in the UK and can provide work experience without any problem.

Isn't there any type of ECS card for me to apply with above qualifications? I am not going to be able to go to a course at the moment so would not I get labour or experienced worker card?

I am trying to get an ECS card as quick as possible to upgrade it later by taking any needed courses.

Kind Rgards

haptism, westward10 and spinlondon thanks for the answers.

Appreciated a lot!

I have written them and waiting their answer on this matter but just wanted to learn a bit more about the process.

PS: haptism I am currently employed in the industry actually I have been working in this industry since my graduation.

Be warned they are not exactly quick when it comes to getting a response from them.

According to their automatic response e-mail, I will be contacted in 14 days. It seems that they are busy... :)

The thing that I didn't like is I like searching and reading to find out a solution to problems but their website is not helpful at all.

It is clear that lots of European people come here to work in the construction industry but unfortunately there is no clear statements on this issue. They would make the life easier for themselves by giving explicit info about this.

Google NARIC, for qualification translation.

Thanks a lot Vortigern for your reply,

I did google it as you say and I came across this statement on ECS's website

"Translation documents from UK NARIC relating to an individual’s qualifications will not, in isolation, be accepted as proof of the applicant’s competence and experience to obtain an ECS card. A translation document from UK NARIC will only refer to the level of a particular qualification; it does not provide an assessment or mapping of the qualification content that is required for an ECS card application."

Non-UK Qualifications - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/Non-UK-Qualifications

Does it mean that even if UK NARIC says my qualifications over than Level 3 (according to this link Qualification Comparisons - NVQ Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 | City & Guilds - https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/qualifications-explained/qualification-comparisons somwhat level 7? ) there is still a chance to not obtain the card due to other requirements?

I am afraid that is where my knowledge ends vis-a-vis your question(s) I do know it is similar to dealing with the borg (fictional character from star-trek) dealing with JIB. If you have a level 30 it does not seem to matter, the computer says you have to have a level 3 NVQ. Clearly you need to follow up with NARIC in person on the phone or email to clarify those points as they will be able to offer answers that I can not. I think the whole point is to see if your qualifications can translate to the equivalent of JIB requirements with NARIC as your advocate/advisor. Good luck with that.

Reply to ECS Card application & NVQ 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net