Discuss ECS Craft Card Application (JIB) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Looking to open some extra doors for myself in the near future. I have heard through various people a 'Gold JIB' card could be beneficial to hold.

I work as a commercial spark in a maintenance role. I have been time-served and working in this role for 3 years.

I hold;

• NVQ Level 3 (Electrical Maintenance)
  • Advanced Apprenticeship in Electrical Maintenance Engineering
  • 17th Edition (3rd Amendment)
  • C&G 2394 (Initial Verification)

Reading through the ECS site it is obvious I will need to sit and pass an 'ECS Health and Safety Assessment' to add to my current qualifications. I previously held 'iOSH Working Safely' and 'ECITB CCNSG' cards, unfortunately both have expired as I did not require them for my current role.

I have 3 questions which I would appreciate any pointers on please :smile:

1. I am looking to gain the 2395 (Periodic I&T) very soon, would it make sense to wait until I have this additional qualification before applying for a card?
  2. Reading the ECS site there is mention of company references, as I am looking to gain possible future opportunities from this card application I do not believe my current company would be best pleased and I have not worked for another company. So are company references essential?
  3. Is AM2 essential?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section and appreciate any feedback,

Thank you.

Hi to all,

Looking to open some extra doors for myself in the near future. I have heard through various people a 'Gold JIB' card could be beneficial to hold.

I work as a commercial spark in a maintenance role. I have been time-served and working in this role for 3 years.

I hold;

• NVQ Level 3 (Electrical Maintenance)
  • Advanced Apprenticeship in Electrical Maintenance Engineering
  • 17th Edition (3rd Amendment)
  • C&G 2394 (Initial Verification)

Reading through the ECS site it is obvious I will need to sit and pass an 'ECS Health and Safety Assessment' to add to my current qualifications. I previously held 'iOSH Working Safely' and 'ECITB CCNSG' cards, unfortunately both have expired as I did not require them for my current role.

I have 3 questions which I would appreciate any pointers on please :smile:

1. I am looking to gain the 2395 (Periodic I&T) very soon, would it make sense to wait until I have this additional qualification before applying for a card?
  2. Reading the ECS site there is mention of company references, as I am looking to gain possible future opportunities from this card application I do not believe my current company would be best pleased and I have not worked for another company. So are company references essential?
  3. Is AM2 essential?

With the 2395 you will get an approved card without the 2395 you will get a maintenance electricians gold card as your NVQ3 is in electrical maintenance.

AM2 isn't essential with that NVQ3 its only essential as part of the 2357 and I take it you have the 2356?

Is there another sparks on your firm that would be willing to write you a reference?...it doesn't have to come from management.

When did you gain your NVQ3? as you may not even have to sit the ECS test.

[/LIST]

With the 2395 you will get an approved card without the 2395 you will get a maintenance electricians gold card as your NVQ3 is in electrical maintenance.

AM2 isn't essential with that NVQ3 its only essential as part of the 2357 and I take it you have the 2356?

Is there another sparks on your firm that would be willing to write you a reference?...it doesn't have to come from management.

When did you gain your NVQ3? as you may not even have to sit the ECS test.

Ah, as I expected it makes sense to gain the 2395 first before applying then!

My apprenticeship / NVQ Level 3 was through EAL so unfortunately the 2357/2356 is alien to me. The reason I asked if the AM2 is required is because a lot of previous threads and posts suggest so.

There would be sparks that would refer me yes, although also none will hold an ECS card. Would they be required too hold one to refer me?

I gained the NVQ level 3 in 2013.

Thanks again I appreciate the advise, really is quite daunting reading the ECS guidelines that come with the application.

Last edited:
Ah, as I expected it makes sense to gain the 2395 first before applying then!

My apprenticeship / NVQ Level 3 was through EAL so unfortunately the 2357/2356 is alien to me. The reason I asked if the AM2 is required is because a lot of previous threads and posts suggest so.

There would be sparks that would refer me yes, although also none will hold an ECS card. Would they be required too hold one to refer me?

I gained the NVQ level 3 in 2013.

Thanks again I appreciate the advise, really is quite daunting reading the ECS guidelines that come with the application.
acording to the jib grading definitions you need the am2 (downloadable on there site)

it will take 2-3 days and if there are not a lot of people on the course you will find out result in a day (i finished 1pm on day 2 and 11 on day 3) i got an email with results at 8pm that night

Last edited:
I think you should just ring them up and ask them.

If you haven't got a current H&S cert, you'll need to sit their H&S exam. Its about ÂŁ30, multi choice, hour long. The hardest part is driving to one of their test centres. They'll even send you a booklet with all the questions & answers.

I think you should just ring them up and ask them.

If you haven't got a current H&S cert, you'll need to sit their H&S exam. Its about ÂŁ30, multi choice, hour long. The hardest part is driving to one of their test centres. They'll even send you a booklet with all the questions & answers.

Ok, my next move is definitely to get booked on the H&S assessment at Darlington asap.

Cheers.

Well nearly one year on ... :rolleyes:

I attained the 2395 couple of months ago and finally applied for ECS card online last week. Supervisor surprisingly had no issues vouching for me, in fact he didn't even question it!

It states on the application dashboard that I would achieve 'approved maintenance electrician' although maybe the initial card can only be electrician grade? I'm not sure.

It is right that I am currently exempt from the health and safety course due to obtaining NVQ 3 in the last 5 years.

Does anyone know roughly how long an application takes?

Thanks.

Reply to ECS Craft Card Application (JIB) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net