Discuss Educating customers - wasted time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I know its not the customers fault but it's frustrating when you get asked to do some work and the plan is alot different when you turn up.

Family member asked me to help her friend who needs a few socket fronts terminating, a few lights switches terminating and some downlights connecting. I had some jobs plans today so I decided to move things around this morning to fit it in.

Got to the house.... It's a completely gutted bungalow. Huge! Bungalow I should add.

Anyway, customer basically says the whole installation is new apart from parts of some circuits which are old, he has done some of the work, his electrical friend did some of the work bla bla bla.... Cables hanging everywhere out of walls etc...new consumer units etc....

Sorry mate, you need to get your electrician friend to come and sign his work off. Isn't that something you can do?? I spent the next 10 mins explaining what an EIC, EICR, minor works etc are and the differences.

I didn't want to get involved in that job ha

Owel.

This seems to be a common problem that keeps on recurring where someone else has done a part/1st fix. I remember one post was where the electrician had been taken seriously ill and couldn't return to work.
It does get a bit awkward being it is a friend of a family member rather than a customer who you can say no thank you. Luckily it is a bungalow and you can see most of the wiring in the loft. What is your gut instinct?

I had a good mate's brother call me last week.
"Can you come and do some work at my sisters house. The electrician started it but he's now got a job and hasn't got the time. Just connecting and certs need doing"

I said no and asked him to give the other guy a week to turn up. Said I wouldn't be signing anything off in any occasion.

Miraculously he turned up two days later o_O

So what happens with the NICEIC Platinum Promis where they get another contractor to redo finish the work.

I was asked to do a job for one of my wife's work collegues;- update a few socket fronts to match new ones that has been fitted when she had her kitchen done up, and replace a few wall lights.
A nice quick job for a morning.
I went round to have a quick look and see what make of socket I needed.

That'll be as above, plus change EVERY socket in the house. 24 of them.... 7 switches. Blank plate over any unused TV or telephone points, the 4 wall lights and an additional 3 sockets.

I was asked to do a job for one of my wife's work collegues;- update a few socket fronts to match new ones that has been fitted when she had her kitchen done up, and replace a few wall lights.
A nice quick job for a morning.
I went round to have a quick look and see what make of socket I needed.

That'll be as above, plus change EVERY socket in the house. 24 of them.... 7 switches. Blank plate over any unused TV or telephone points, the 4 wall lights and an additional 3 sockets.
so what did you do to fill in after your morning teabreak?

My last similar job was a friend of a friend who needed to some work doing, he had an old bit of swa cable jointed three times draped across his garden to an outhouse with a self instalation within, three different types of circuit breaker in the CU with holes chopped out with what looked like a blunt pencil and outside lights running off rfc's. He told me he was a dab hand at electrics. I politely made my excuses and left!

My last similar job was a friend of a friend who needed to some work doing, he had an old bit of swa cable jointed three times draped across his garden to an outhouse with a self instalation within, three different types of circuit breaker in the CU with holes chopped out with what looked like a blunt pencil and outside lights running off rfc's. He told me he was a dab hand at electrics. I politely made my excuses and left!
"But it works doesn't it" what could be wrong, your just too picky

Personally I think every job has its price.

Price accordingly with what you can see in front of you. Then when the customer puts their tongue back in you can explain to them that cutting corners does not always save money and detail the extra work you will now need to do to confirm the installation is safe.

I have never walked away from a job. Came very close a few times and saved emails as drafts and did the 24hr email review thing but ultimately I do not want a reputation of a business that picks and chooses so Injust proce the job as I see it.

This seems to be a common problem that keeps on recurring where someone else has done a part/1st fix. I remember one post was where the electrician had been taken seriously ill and couldn't return to work.
It does get a bit awkward being it is a friend of a family member rather than a customer who you can say no thank you. Luckily it is a bungalow and you can see most of the wiring in the loft. What is your gut instinct?

Yes it was my gut instinct to stay clear. The more I probed the guy about what's been actually been done the more details that came out. He had done some of the electrical work and some was done from his electrical friend. Every lighting point was packed to the rafters ha

No thank you.

Price accordingly with what you can see in front of you. Then when the customer puts their tongue back in you can explain to them that cutting corners does not always save money and detail the extra work you will now need to do to confirm the installation is safe.

I have never walked away from a job. Came very close a few times and saved emails as drafts and did the 24hr email review thing but ultimately I do not want a reputation of a business that picks and chooses so Injust proce the job as I see it.

Understandable. In this instant I couldnt say I would be able to offer a quality service on this job due to my minimal experience and limited time. I'll only take on what I know I can do and I can do well. I don't want to "practice" or "wing it's on some one elses stuff.

Maybe if it was another year down the line I'd think about it but for now, it's not for me.

Trouble is the wife mates sister wants it on the cheap, stand your ground and always charge accordingly.

Many years ago I went to do a second fix on a large house that another sparky had first fixed. Actually it was a sad story because the first fix spark had died before the house was ready for completion. Trouble is every room had been wired to take loads of GU10 recessed spots, all the ceilings were up, plastered and decorated and all the floors up & down either tiled or laminated. Every single cable had been covered over and there were no plans left by the deceased spark. In the end the ceilings ended up looking like Swiss cheese as me and the house owner attempted to discern where the spots might have been intended to go. We managed to get it sorted but it took a while and every ceiling had to be patched re-plastered and decorated again. Oh and non of the switch wires or supplies had been marked up, though this just added a bit more time and I quite enjoyed the challenge. House bashing can often become mundane at times.

It’s the glazed look on their faces as you try and explain the regs etc. Being new to the trade you try and explain and after a few seconds the expression on their face makes you realise that you’re wasting your time.

Reply to Educating customers - wasted time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock