Discuss EFL on TN-S with RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

devon1

I'm doing 30mA & 100mA RCD resting on a TN-S system

TN-S earth fault loop impedance max is .8 ohms
TT earth fault loop impedance max is 200 ohms

Regs state approx 1500 ohms for RCD on TT system

What should the maximum Zs be on a TN-S system when testing an RCD?

I'm doing 30mA & 100mA RCD resting on a TN-S system

TN-S earth fault loop impedance max is .8 ohms
TT earth fault loop impedance max is 200 ohms

Regs state approx 1500 ohms for RCD on TT system

What should the maximum Zs be on a TN-S system when testing an RCD?

On a 230V supply Max Zs can be worked out like this:

Max Zs = 50V ÷ IΔn

So for a 30mA RCD the max Zs is 1666.66Ω (50 ÷ 0.03 = 1666.66) and for a 100mA RCD it is 500Ω (50 ÷ 0.1 = 500)

The maximum a 30mA can protect at is 1666 as Jud has said however, it should still be below 200 Ohms on a TT and irrespective of RCD protection or not the max ZS on an a TN-S should still be around 0.8

The maximum a 30mA can protect at is 1666 as Jud has said however, it should still be below 200 Ohms on a TT and irrespective of RCD protection or not the max ZS on an a TN-S should still be around 0.8

That would be Ze, not Zs.

A Ze or Ra of more than 200Ω on a TT is considered unstable as Caddy says.

The maximum Zs of circuits on a TN system should be taken from Tables 41.2 to 41.4 on pages 48 & 49 of BS7671.

devon1, I've just noticed your qualifications in your signature.

With those qualifications you really should know all this ;)

devon1, I've just noticed your qualifications in your signature.

With those qualifications you really should know all this ;)

yeah i just need to explain it to the electrical engineer on site! The engineer is telling us that the Zs max is 1500 ohms on the TN-S

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be Ze, not Zs.

A Ze or Ra of more than 200Ω on a TT is considered unstable as Caddy says.

The maximum Zs of circuits on a TN system should be taken from Tables 41.2 to 41.4 on pages 48 & 49 of BS7671.

Thanks i'll take a look in work tomorrow

cheers guys i'll look in my regs and gn3 2moro

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy EFL on TN-S with RCD {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
the max ZS on an a TN-S should still be around 0.8

The max Ze, not Zs, should be 0.8 on a TN-S.

Indeed it is, A simple mistake on my part although I shall blame the keyboard layout for it :p

Reply to EFL on TN-S with RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock