Discuss Eh? RCD protecting tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Some may remember that I've got an upcoming job to move 87 CUs about a meter in council sheltered accommodation. Just found out that they also want all the installations protecting with RCDs. I found this odd cos as far as i remember they all had split load boards with dual RCDs. I queried it, thinking it was a mistake. "I'll look into it and find out" was the reply. Just looked at my emails and turns out they have specced RCD protection for the tails, in place of the main switches!!!! Eh? Why??? The tails are and will remain surface mounted and will be no more than a meter long! Am I missing something? Or is it just the council trying to dump it's budget??

I take it that its not TT system and not a 100mA s type they want installing.

If thats a yes whats the point of having 2 more RCD ;s upsteam !

it's council FFS. commonsense is out the window if some suit decides on a stupid idea. it's not their money they're spending, it's ours.

Just write "30 mA RCD" in marker pen on the old switchgear and invoice for the job :-D
anyone that gives me a stupid spec is just asking to be taken to the cleaners lol

it's because the council policy is anti discrimination. someone has told them if they have 2 30mA RCDs in series there will be no discrimination, so they think "wonderful".

careful, biff. you might be eligible for a council job.

No need what so ever the front end rcd if not a tt system

Hopefully they don't expect you to supply this at your existing price if not charge them double what it normally would for being stupid, got to laugh at the council at times.

Reply to Eh? RCD protecting tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

About 20Meters of 25mm meter tails are routed though the floor boards feeding a sub main. To protect the tails under the floor i was going to fit...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a few questions about that video. 1. I don't understand why there are two isolators on the tails between the meter and the CU. One...
Replies
Views
Long time lurker so this may be my first question. I am a qualified electrical engineer, but in aeronautics not domestic installations, and I may...
Replies
Views
Q1: I am not far off getting professional in but which professionals and how to find a good one? I have researched and investigated a bit myself...
Replies
Views
Afternoon - despite a recent 18th edition pass (all but one right!) I'm having a bit of a moment whilst planning some upcoming works at our site...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock