• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss EICR - 2 boards, 1 with an off peak split and one with regular supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, im looking some general advice related to this eicr.

im a bit lossed here, so would it be 2 eicr?
or do i just splice two sheets together with the relevant information?

on a seperate not i also noticed today when i had a wee look that his main water bond cannot be verified, is this a dealbreaker?
i mean i see a group of 6mm earths leaving the board(with no other purpose) but theres nothing at the stop cock.
It a block of flats (circa 1970)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and also if anyone could recommend a specific course that teaches all the in/outs of eicr?
would it be 2391?

I mean your tradesman shows you testing and you get it at college and then you pass the test etc but no one really goes into detail and tells you how to deal with eicr(s) etc

haha, maybe so.

specifically im talking about the section of the eicr that asks for the details of the main switch (its before the circuit chart page and test results)
It asks for the main switch details.
So if you have two different boards with different main switches then my thinking is that both these details should be recorded.

Im not saying i know it all, and if i cant find an answer then i most likely just tell the guy that im not going to complete it.
I do try and do a good job for people.

Any advice on a course?

Don't worry Neon, you'll get some helpful answers soon. I think it's an ok question apart from the bit about the lack of Main bonding being a 'deal breaker', I'm not sure what that means.
If the incoming water supply is in metal and there is no main bonding visible (can you see all around it?) then I would code it C2. If I couldn't see all around it then I would code it FI.
I would also test it to see what resistance it has to the MET. I do get a little confused with the 0.05ohm figure, but if there is a 6mm leaving the CU and the stop cock tests <0.05 to earth then I think it highly likely it's got a Main bonding cable attached to it.... I wonder what replies I'll get to that! (Plus the 6mm would have to have been in place for a significant amount of time and show no signs of thermal damage if it was to be classed as ok as it should be 10mm)

thanks for your reply.

i just meant that it would be a fail without the verification?
I would note it as a c2.
it can be clearly seen where it enters and the bond is not there.
Maybe it attaches somewhere else in the house (after the "t", who knows)
I dont think i would mark it down as verified with just a test, id have to see it.

yeah i know it should be 10mm but these 6mm do look old, and i think they used to do it with that all the time.
Don't worry Neon, you'll get some helpful answers soon. I think it's an ok question apart from the bit about the lack of Main bonding being a 'deal breaker', I'm not sure what that means.
If the incoming water supply is in metal and there is no main bonding visible (can you see all around it?) then I would code it C2. If I couldn't see all around it then I would code it FI.
I would also test it to see what resistance it has to the MET. I do get a little confused with the 0.05ohm figure, but if there is a 6mm leaving the CU and the stop cock tests <0.05 to earth then I think it highly likely it's got a Main bonding cable attached to it.... I wonder what replies I'll get to that! (Plus the 6mm would have to have been in place for a significant amount of time and show no signs of thermal damage if it was to be classed as ok as it should be 10mm)
thanks

haha, maybe so.

specifically im talking about the section of the eicr that asks for the details of the main switch (its before the circuit chart page and test results)
It asks for the main switch details.
So if you have two different boards with different main switches then my thinking is that both these details should be recorded.

Im not saying i know it all, and if i cant find an answer then i most likely just tell the guy that im not going to complete it.
I do try and do a good job for people.

Any advice on a course?

That is referring to the main switch of the whole installation, not the individual DB's. If there is no single point of isolation then N/A that section and note in the recommendations page.

No course can prepare you for EICRs ..... only years of hands on experience ..... and that needs to be across a variety of sites and installations
well thats what im trying to gather the now, but i think that if you dont ask questions then you will never learn anything.
Even if it might seem ridiculous to other people.
I think its worse to ignore your own ignorance?

That is referring to the main switch of the whole installation, not the individual DB's. If there is no single point of isolation then N/A that section and note in the recommendations page.
ah right, so why does it ask about bs number and rcd ma rating?
ive never seen a main switch (ie the one directly after the meter) with an rcd on it?

I believe for someone to carry out EICRs they must have an expansive knowledge of electrical installation methods, past and present. A thorough understanding of current requirements and how these may or may not affect existing installations. The ability to produce a factual Report with concise grammar. Most of this cannot be achieved in a classroom.

I believe for someone to carry out EICRs they must have an expansive knowledge of electrical installation methods, past and present. A thorough understanding of current requirements and how these may or may not affect existing installations. The ability to produce a factual Report with concise grammar. Most of this cannot be achieved in a classroom.
Well, would that not mean that only electricians who lived through the 70s till present day could do an eicr?
I do understand broadly what you mean,and i agree that this qualities you mention would be very valuable, but it doesnt seem like a practical approach.
At the end of the day, people are required to have their properties tested etc so there has to be a mechanism for providing people the knowledge to have this done?

Well, would that not mean that only electricians who lived through the 70s till present day could do an eicr?
I do understand broadly what you mean,and i agree that this qualities you mention would be very valuable, but it doesnt seem like a practical approach.
At the end of the day, people are required to have their properties tested etc so there has to be a mechanism for providing people the knowledge to have this done?
I partly agree with what you say, but you need a little knowledge.
And I truly mean no disrespect with this next bit.
I don't think you have that based on what your asking.
You have to start somewhere, I know. But for now get a bit of experience. Avoid EICR's and do them after that experience grows a bit and do the 2395 or what ever the equivalent is now.

Reply to EICR - 2 boards, 1 with an off peak split and one with regular supply in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back