Discuss eicr advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, i did an eicr today in a house, theres a few things needing attention but the main one is that whoever fitted the majority of the lights has not connected the earths and has cut it back too far to allow connection, what do i mark this down as c1, c2 or c3. I dare say the client is not going to go for any repair as the majority of cables have been plastered in and some of yhe ceilings lowered with no access to the main lighting connection. Any advice welcomed.

Hi guys, i did an eicr today in a house, theres a few things needing attention but the main one is that whoever fitted the majority of the lights has not connected the earths and has cut it back too far to allow connection, what do i mark this down as c1, c2 or c3. I dare say the client is not going to go for any repair as the majority of cables have been plastered in and some of yhe ceilings lowered with no access to the main lighting connection. Any advice welcomed.
are the fittings class 1 (metal)?...
if so its a 2....

You tell us what you think.

You are meant to be the experienced inspector.

i'd code it as a C2 even if the fittings are plastic. it's a potential danger as the customer could very easily swap a switch to a metal one.

Cheers guys, not had a chance to get back on! I was thinking c2 but not sure if c1 would be more suitable as all fittings are metal and switches brass (should have said in op sorry). The majority of ceilings have been lowerer to allow for timber panelling, don't think he'll go for fixing it just now but i'll make sure he knows the situation. Thanks for the replys

Cheers guys, not had a chance to get back on! I was thinking c2 but not sure if c1 would be more suitable as all fittings are metal and switches brass (should have said in op sorry). The majority of ceilings have been lowerer to allow for timber panelling, don't think he'll go for fixing it just now but i'll make sure he knows the situation. Thanks for the replys
Its a C2, and I would get everything swapped to class 2

it would only be a C1 if there was a fault and the exposed conductive parts of the switch/fitting were "live". as it is, it's a deffo. C2.

How do you overcome situations like this when landlord electrical safety certificates aren't compulsory?

are you talking here as a tenant living in a house with dodgy electrics? if so, and the landlord is a skinflint, it might be advisable for you to pay for a safety inspection, then hit the landlord with that. if he's not forthcoming over remedial work, then you could go to the local council.

That is good advice.I shall invest in that for the coming winter.I painstakingly opened a letter that shows he's claiming insurance under false pretext and hasn't declared that property as tenanted I'm down as a relative I'm going to use that piece of info trust me the landlord is walking on hot c

Reply to eicr advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net