Discuss Eicr advise needed please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
Hi all some advice please been asked to carry out A eicr on a flat the flat is in a care home 27 flats seems like when it was bulit non of them have had a earth run to them jusy l n tails only and the earth is taken from the neutral via a Henley block am I right in saying it's a c2? Going by reg 543.1 It's a pme system

Then a PEN conductor is not permitted apart from a DNO supply cable.
Without looking they maybe other exceptions however the set up you are testing it would not be permitted.
How old is the installation?

Thanks Ian I gave it a c2 for the reasons u said just wanted to hear others views say good 30 years old install the client is worried as each flat has same issue

As far as I'm aware a PEN conductor is permitted on a private supply transformer only which would be the DNOs.
I find the set up you've described quite worrying really if all the flats are like this?
Is there a main earthing conductor at the supply intake were the supply comes in and connects to the metering equipment?

Yer there is also main gas and water to bulidmg is bonded to the main met just each flat has no earth got me thinking how did they pass it at the time seem to come across a few in the east London areas

Whilst you cannot install a PEN conductor these days, it is permissible to maintain an existing installation and the requirements for such are still in bs7671 as far as I know.
So you can't, to the best of my knowledge, give it a code based purely on it being this type of installation.

The problem I got is I need to change the ccu within the flat as well as carrying out a eicr guess I got no choice but to run a 16mm earth in

I disagree.
A lost neutral to the flat would result in possible full mains voltage appearing across the cpcs connected directly to the neutral inside the flat.
I believe it to be a potentially dangerous situation the way it is now.

That's not quite what I was expecting to see, I thought it was going to be a very old installation from the days when a PEN conductor was acceptable, not an abortion like that.

Lol sorry had to laugh the whole install is 30 year old ish submain running to each flat 16mm phase & neutral no earth 27 flats over 3 floors but as u can see nearly all flats have had work carried out in recent years.

I find it difficult to believe it has always been like that. The supply conductors look single insulated leading me to believe the original cpc was provided by its containment which is concealed behind the latter dist board, someone has then been connected from the neutral. Where have you got the 30 years from.

I find it difficult to believe it has always been like that. The supply conductors look single insulated leading me to believe the original cpc was provided by its containment which is concealed behind the latter dist board, someone has then derived a cpc from the neutral. Where have you got the 30 years from.

Maybe the answer lies at the supply end and how they are contained and if the tails are installed along their route perhaps in galv trunking?

Reply to Eicr advise needed please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net