Discuss EICR code for tripping MCB? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
While carrying out a periodic inspection and test, I have a socket circuit where after power is removed for a while, then restored, the B16 MCB trips fairly reliably. There are quite a number of office-type appliances connected that are always switched on (PCs, printer, shredder, surge protection dis-boards, etc) – and some of this stuff takes a higher current when starting up. After tripping, if the MCB is reset straight away, it holds and there is no further problem (until the next power outage).

While obviously a nuisance, if the MCB is just doing what it is designed to do, and the cable is protected, what code would you give this on the EICR?

C3 in inspection tickbox 5.7 ( IET format )

clearly needs a bigger mcb for start up , 16a C or 20a B , if the cable is upto the job , and if its 2.5mm it shouldnt be a problem.

Surely if everything wasn't likely to to start together during normal use it wouldn't even be a fault at all. Does it nuisance trip normally? If so maybe just advise a slower curve MCB.

Agree with Marvo here ....power cuts are not normal operating conditions the equipment would not normally be energised all together ...no code needed and advice client in the event of a power failure switch off the appliances on effected circuit and when power re-established they can switch them on one at a time.

If the power cuts are regular then maybe steps to resolve the power failure issues whether its consumer side or DNO in which case contact them.

Thanks for the additional comments. Since an EICR is primarily concerned with safety, I can see the point that maybe it is not even a C3. However, the equipment is normally all left switched on, and given the nature of the users (if anything trips or is not working, they just assume they need to call someone in), I'm going to stick with the C3 now (actually I've already emailed the report last night). It will get resolved either way (there is a lot of C2 stuff to correct).

i'm with you on this. while it's not a safety issue and would not require a code for that reason, i'd give it a C3 just as " improvement recommended". it's more positive than just a comment .

So let me get this right you did an EICR yet did not have an amp probe with you ? Please do not tell me you do not have one as they sell for £50 with Screwfix doing one for a tenner every so often.

Also I hear type C and upgrade to 20 amps but why not measure the actual current first before deciding.

So let me get this right you did an EICR yet did not have an amp probe with you ? Please do not tell me you do not have one as they sell for £50 with Screwfix doing one for a tenner every so often. Also I hear type C and upgrade to 20 amps but why not measure the actual current first before deciding.

Oldtimer - I'm not sure who this comment is aimed at? I never mentioned anything about what test equipment I had or did not have with me, nor did I mention anything about what the best solution might or might not be. I simply wanted some opinion as to what code – if any – people would put down on an EICR for this kind of issue, which I got.

If you give an observation a code 3 you need to back it up with a regs number

have to disagree there. a code 3 for improvement recommended may not have an appropriate reg. in this case, it's the inspector's judgement that an improvement can be made, but there's no reg. in BS7671 covering a MCB tripping only after a power outage and restoration.

i ain't either. heard of john bishop though, a fellow scouser.

Reply to EICR code for tripping MCB? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net